Swapping walnut dash and door trim

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
adam b

Post by adam b »

Looking at a car next week, really nice spec but it has dark walnut trim and the dash and doors which I need to see in the flesh but suspect I really won't like (unless its really dark)

Has anyone enquired how easy / expensive it is to swap these bits for piano black or brushed aluminium?

If it can be swapped without taking the dash apart it might be viable and not too pricey
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

adam b wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 pm Looking at a car next week, really nice spec but it has dark walnut trim and the dash and doors which I need to see in the flesh but suspect I really won't like (unless its really dark)

Has anyone enquired how easy / expensive it is to swap these bits for piano black or brushed aluminium?

If it can be swapped without taking the dash apart it might be viable and not too pricey
Walnut is really dark, at least it is in my Turbo.

Do have a look at an OPC as they have all the trims, colours etc on a display board, where they lift off and you can hold them up inside a Macan in the showroom to see how it looks.

If you do this you will see that some of the trim options are a bit dated.

This is my Turbo and whilst it does not show the trim you can see how dark it is and also in the background you can see the display board in my OPC than I wrote about above

C51804BD-7636-453B-9CA2-DE2498B10ADF.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I chose it because it's dark and I don't like monochrome; doesn't make you feel you're in an old Jag but looks ok.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

adam b wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 pm Looking at a car next week, really nice spec but it has dark walnut trim and the dash and doors which I need to see in the flesh but suspect I really won't like (unless its really dark)

I doubt anyone on here has done it, but what I can say re cost is 🤔 it will be a lot 😖
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
adam b

Post by adam b »

Tim92gts wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm I chose it because it's dark and I don't like monochrome; doesn't make you feel you're in an old Jag but looks ok.
Ha, that is exactly my fear when I hear about wood trim in Porsche, the old maple walnut was awful but much lighter. Will have a look at this car when it’s finished in prep.

Surprised how popular red leather is with the Macan, much more so than a 911, has frustrated my search a few tomes now

But the research and search and negotiation is all part of the fun in buying a new car
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

adam b wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 am
Ha, that is exactly my fear when I hear about wood trim in Porsche, the old maple walnut was awful but much lighter. Will have a look at this car when it’s finished in prep.

Surprised how popular red leather is with the Macan, much more so than a 911, has frustrated my search a few tomes now

But the research and search and negotiation is all part of the fun in buying a new car
Be interesting to see what you think.

The red looks good imo, once i'd seen it I went for half leather. Outside colour was harder, came down to a yellow or green but red / green is one of
my favourite combinations so went with that. Would have been Porsche Signal Green if they'd been doing PTS.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

adam b wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 am
Tim92gts wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm I chose it because it's dark and I don't like monochrome; doesn't make you feel you're in an old Jag but looks ok.

Mine is Partial Garnet, which I much prefer to Full Garnet which to me if far to much red. The Partial leather selection does however have a bit of a mis-match in materials. So do consider that if you are looking at Turbos with Partial.

Another combi that you will find is Agate & Pebble which in bright light gives a very brown hue.

As for body colour metallic white in bright light has a blue hue.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Just took photo of open door to put in bright sunlight.
Next photo of interior with pano open.
Looks very dark to me

3D0F77D7-4458-458C-95B7-A53C94B481A8.jpeg

2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

6CD23D9B-0F63-41CA-BD95-519841F39ACD.jpeg

2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
adam b

Post by adam b »

Thanks Fun

Those are much more useful pictures than the ones on the ad I was looking at.

Unfortunately the door one confirms my fears that it clearly looks like wood with a visible grain so doubt I will be able to live with it