Bad design of seat backs

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

After a month of Macan ownership I have noticed that the panels on the rear of the front seats are both deformed. I had the rear seats folded at the weekend and now realise how this has happened. If the head rests of the folded rear seats are left in place, the comfort entry of the front seats forces the drivers seat backwards crushing the seat back into the folded rear seat headrest, deforming the plastic moulding of the front seats.

I am hoping someone on here has managed to remove the panels and push the deformation out? If so, how do the panels come off?
I have full leather, does that mean these panels are actually covered in leather?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Interesting - I never experienced any problems when mine were folded. Were the rear seat headrests in the fully down position?

I have posted a link to the workshop manual elsewhere on this forum - removal of the seat back is covered on page 2290.

EDIT: Try the link in the first post of this thread: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/166822-2015-2016-service-manual.html
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

This has puzzled me. On our MY2017 S the seat back on the passenger side (no comfort entry) is concave whilst the one on the driver side (with comfort entry) is convex. I cannot see how reclining the passenger seat could have made the seat back concave in this way, even with the rear seat back folded forward and the head restraints in place. If you search for Macan video reviews, as I did, you'll find examples of both concave and convex seat backs. This, and close examination on the passenger seat back shell, which is very robustly constructed, led me to conclude that it was concave by design, not deformed, and the difference between the seat backs is intentional, but quite why I'm not sure.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Yes, the rear headrest were down as low as they go. In future I will remove them altogether.
Obviously this will only ever happen if your car has the memory option with comfort access.

Thanks for your help.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

rydercowan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:57 pm This has puzzled me. On our MY2017 S the seat back on the passenger side (no comfort entry) is concave whilst the one on the driver side (with comfort entry) is convex. I cannot see how reclining the passenger seat could have made the seat back concave in this way, even with the rear seat back folded forward and the head restraints in place. If you search for Macan video reviews, as I did, you'll find examples of both concave and convex seat backs. This, and close examination on the passenger seat back shell, which is very robustly constructed, led me to conclude that it was concave by design, not deformed, and the difference between the seat backs is intentional, but quite why I'm not sure.
Mine is definitely not meant to be like that as it’s even creased in one place, and I saw it happen.
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:01 pm
rydercowan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:57 pm This has puzzled me. On our MY2017 S the seat back on the passenger side (no comfort entry) is concave whilst the one on the driver side (with comfort entry) is convex. I cannot see how reclining the passenger seat could have made the seat back concave in this way, even with the rear seat back folded forward and the head restraints in place. If you search for Macan video reviews, as I did, you'll find examples of both concave and convex seat backs. This, and close examination on the passenger seat back shell, which is very robustly constructed, led me to conclude that it was concave by design, not deformed, and the difference between the seat backs is intentional, but quite why I'm not sure.
Mine is definitely not meant to be like that as it’s even creased in one place, and I saw it happen.
Interesting. How did comfort entry affect the passenger seat back?
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Because when opening the drivers door the drivers seat goes back about 4” to assist entry, in going back it collided with the folded rear headrest and deformed the seat back
Paul

Post by Paul »

Surely that would only effect the driver’s side?
There’s no comfort entry on the passenger side.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Correct, the passenger side was already like it so maybe someone moved the seat back under the same circumstances.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

From the manual:

Risk of damage if the rear seat is folded forward when settings are retrieved.
The seat could move back and become damaged.

Switch off the Comfort Entry function if the rear seat is folded forward.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA