Rear door panel damage from front tyre

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Poor design again from Porsche, they already know that stones lifted by the front tyres on the macan models damage the rear edge of the rear doors, I was even told this by my dealer when I bought my Macan S, which also suffers from this poor design, I have protective vinyl fitted to these areas from new but already showing heavy stonechip rash after a month old.

My question is, has anyone fitted splash guards to the front and if so does it eliminate the rear door panel damage?
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Just out of interest, what size wheels are you running? My Macan is just over four years old and just under 40k miles and not a mark on the rear doors. My summer wheels are 20" and the winters 18".
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Paul

Post by Paul »

First chip on my ‘16 GTS on 20’s a few weeks ago but we were travelling down an unmade track to a riding stable...

I remember a service action on 2010 Skoda Yeti was to stick a “foil” (PPF) on the rear arches....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

fabmacan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:55 pm Poor design again from Porsche, they already know that stones lifted by the front tyres on the macan models damage the rear edge of the rear doors, I was even told this by my dealer when I bought my Macan S, which also suffers from this poor design, I have protective vinyl fitted to these areas from new but already showing heavy stonechip rash after a month old.

My question is, has anyone fitted splash guards to the front and if so does it eliminate the rear door panel damage?
Do you mean mud flaps? I haven’t but some on here have so maybe they will comment. I don’t have any stone damage in 12k miles fortunately but councils around here have been dumping chippings on the roads lately and I try to keep the speed right down when I encounter this abomination of resurfacing.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:13 pm
fabmacan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:55 pm Poor design again from Porsche, they already know that stones lifted by the front tyres on the macan models damage the rear edge of the rear doors, I was even told this by my dealer when I bought my Macan S, which also suffers from this poor design, I have protective vinyl fitted to these areas from new but already showing heavy stonechip rash after a month old.

Do you mean mud flaps? I haven’t but some on here have so maybe they will comment. I don’t have any stone damage in 12k miles fortunately but councils around here have been dumping chippings on the roads lately and I try to keep the speed right down when I encounter this abomination of resurfacing.
+1 and have covered 30K on 20s. And as above I go very, very carefully over chippings recently or particularly in the process of being laid.

Had a horrible experience in France last September when I came across some work in progress and some drivers going the other way were flying like bats and throwing stones all over the shop. :( Remarkably escaped without incident. :roll:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

21 inch wheels fitted
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

On-Track wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 pm Just out of interest, what size wheels are you running? My Macan is just over four years old and just under 40k miles and not a mark on the rear doors. My summer wheels are 20" and the winters 18".
21 inch wheels fitted, the front wheels/tyres seem to offer no protection to the rear door panels just before the rear wheel arches, with the rears having a wider track they are in the firing line to anything picked up by the front tyres, 265/40/21 on front and 295/35/21 on rears.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

Hi Fabmacan
I had this problem, not so much on the rear doors but on the side blades.
I fitted mud flaps as a few others on here have and this solved the matter.
If you wish I can post pictures to let you see what they look like.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

added running boards and mud flaps (painted to match the car) works a treat 40000 + miles and still nice

IMG_1065.JPG

happy days

Post by happy days »

No issues on our 2016 SD with 60+k miles on it.
Macan S D
718 S