Windscreen OPC or Autoglass

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Neilthurso

Post by Neilthurso »

Hi there all,

Iooking for a bit of help, my windscreen has a chip/crack which happened very early in my Macans life which I got immediately repaired.
However it's coming up to MOT time and I think it will be a failure as it's in the drivers view and approx. 15-18mm.
I have a few questions for any experts out there.
Does it affect the warranty if they use an non-Porsche windscreen?
Can I insist on the insurance company using Porsche?

I've been reading a few horror stories but a lot of them sound like they are related to the particular repair centre they go to.
Also the repair that was completed was very poor in my opinion, having seen the adverts where they clamp on a sucker and inject sealer under pressure then buff out to a guy from National windscreens turning up and squirting in what looked like superglue from a small bottle!
the Small chip/crack has been visible throughout my time with the car and I've put off getting anything done as I know the hassle this can cause.
Any recommendations or experiences would be gratefully received.

thanks
Neil
Mamba Green Metallic Porsche Macan GTS (MY21)
Previous - 66 plate Macan S Diesel.

VanB

Post by VanB »

I had 2 windscreens replaced on my Macan during 12 months ( they do seem fragile) both done by Autoglass under insurance and both were OEM and a good job done both in terms of glass replacement and recalibration. Others may have a different experience but I was impressed with the service and quality of what Autoglass did.

If you weren’t happy with the original repair BTW you should have rejected it as you may now have an issue claiming again.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Neilthurso

Post by Neilthurso »

Last edited by Neilthurso on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neilthurso

Post by Neilthurso »

VanB wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm I had 2 windscreens replaced on my Macan during 12 months ( they do seem fragile) both done by Autoglass under insurance and both were OEM and a good job done both in terms of glass replacement and recalibration. Others may have a different experience but I was impressed with the service and quality of what Autoglass did.

If you weren’t happy with the original repair BTW you should have rejected it as you may now have an issue claiming again.
thanks for the reply Van B. I am no expert with the repair and I did ask the question. The repairer was sent by the insurers so not really my call. I can't see how this will invalidate a further claim?
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

VanB wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm I had 2 windscreens replaced on my Macan during 12 months ( they do seem fragile) both done by Autoglass under insurance and both were OEM and a good job done both in terms of glass replacement and recalibration.
Out of interest, what needs to be recalibrated after a windscreen replacement?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
VanB

Post by VanB »

There is a camera top centre of the windscreen which is used for any number of options e.g. auto dimming headlights and this needs to be recalibrated when a windscreen is replaced
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

VanB wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 am There is a camera top centre of the windscreen which is used for any number of options e.g. auto dimming headlights and this needs to be recalibrated when a windscreen is replaced
I see, thanks.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
VanB

Post by VanB »

Neilthurso wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:54 am
VanB wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm I had 2 windscreens replaced on my Macan during 12 months ( they do seem fragile) both done by Autoglass under insurance and both were OEM and a good job done both in terms of glass replacement and recalibration. Others may have a different experience but I was impressed with the service and quality of what Autoglass did.

thanks for the reply Van B. I am no expert with the repair and I did ask the question. The repairer was sent by the insurers so not really my call. I can't see how this will invalidate a further claim?
I would contact your insurer in that case and explain that the repair is inadequate and you would like the windscreen replacing. If there is a visible crack in your line of vision it should be replaced in any case.
vic49er

Post by vic49er »

As previous replies, call your insurer and advise them you would prefer to have the replacement done by your OPC. My recent (3 weeks ago) was just that. Costs maybe £20.00 more. Paid the bill, sent to insurer, money in bank in one week.The OPC usually get a local trusted company to replace the screen, then they do the calibration etc. For the sake of £20 more, have the security of having any problems sorted direct the OPC. Have a look on U Tube showing not so straight forward removal and reassembly of the electronics in the overhead cluster
Current Macan S Gen 3. Collected 7th July 2023 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYKXJQ9
BMW Z3M Coupe (S50)
Previous: Macan 2L Gen 2
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

who ever you get to do the job check the centre consul in the roof, as when it comes down to reset the electronics the holding clip get damaged and need to be replaced, if not the cover just keeps dropping down.