2019 Macan S puddle lights

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

adam b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am why are these are crucial "safety item"? its not brakes or ABS, might stop you stepping in a deep puddle I guess :)

with Porsche you do need to interrogate the options list and what it does/doesn't include but Audi option prices are just as silly (ex RS4 owner)
I had a B8 RS4 which I thought was good value despite putting pretty much every option on it. When i considered the b9 I thought less so!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S

adam b

Post by adam b »

Tracky wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am I had a B8 RS4 which I thought was good value despite putting pretty much every option on it. When i considered the b9 I thought less so!
I had a B7 - great car but I did think come B8 things got silly, notably something like £1700 for someone to change a piece of code from 155 mph limiter to 174 mph

Just checked my Macan receipt (i am the second owner) and my car has light comfort package, probably explains why I haven't been mown down when stepping out the car ;)
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

adam b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm
Tracky wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am I had a B8 RS4 which I thought was good value despite putting pretty much every option on it. When i considered the b9 I thought less so!
I had a B7 - great car but I did think come B8 things got silly, notably something like £1700 for someone to change a piece of code from 155 mph limiter to 174 mph

Just checked my Macan receipt (i am the second owner) and my car has light comfort package, probably explains why I haven't been mown down when stepping out the car ;)
Well that is true and i didn’t see the need for that option.

Keep safe
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

adam b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 am
fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am the "puddle lights" have a dual function, when either of the doors are open at night, the bottom half of the light emits a white light to the road, the remainder of the lens is red which emits a red light to warn passing motorists that your door is open, I see that as a safety feature worth having!
Will have to check my car now, would have thought a light on the side edge of the door rather than the bottom would do a better job.

Alternatively look in the mirror and over you shoulder before opening the door? Sorry but I have a pet hate of namby pambyism and I am not seeing the big issue here. if the lack of puddle lights means you are no longer buying a Porsche again then maybe you don't get the reason many like the marque
lack of puddle lights is only one of a long list of "petty" issues with the macan marque, which are standard fit items on most other prestige marques.

The lack of decent fog lights, even within the eye watering cost of the LED headlight clusters is another, the lights on dipped beams in fog are bad with a lot of glare feeding back, turn the lights to the fog light position then the drivers headlight tilts down slightly, making little or no difference, the LHS light does nothing.
If you have not driven the LED equipped Macan in fog you will be in for a shock!

If you have the 21 inch wheels fitted, have a good look at the rear doors where they meet the rear quarter panel, you will see a lot of paint damage from the front tyres ejecting road rash at high speed into your lower doors as well, same goes for the front lower sills and inner arches which are prone to stone damage, poor design in my opinion, but no doubt the purists will tell you it goes with the territory, no Porsche supplied splash guards, but managed to track down some from Germany that do the job.
I drove a macan demo recently with less than 3000 mls, the rear doors and quarter panels would have to be re-painted prior to attempting to sell this car due to stone damage.
The front headlight lenses are prone to condensation and fouling badly with road grime.

Don't get me wrong I love the car, from its looks, to the engineering and handling, but it is a long way from perfect with servicing costs heavy compared to say and Audi SQ5, I would like Porsche to justify why it costs almost twice as much to change engine oil/filters on a V6 petrol macan than it does on a V6 petrol Audi, the Macan turbo has the same engine as the RS4!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 pm
adam b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 am
fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am the "puddle lights" have a dual function, when either of the doors are open at night, the bottom half of the light emits a white light to the road, the remainder of the lens is red which emits a red light to warn passing motorists that your door is open, I see that as a safety feature worth having!
Will have to check my car now, would have thought a light on the side edge of the door rather than the bottom would do a better job.

Alternatively look in the mirror and over you shoulder before opening the door? Sorry but I have a pet hate of namby pambyism and I am not seeing the big issue here. if the lack of puddle lights means you are no longer buying a Porsche again then maybe you don't get the reason many like the marque
Don't get me wrong I love the car
Perhaps we have 'got you wrong', or we caught you on a bad day. You told us you were leaving the Porsche brand over what many of us felt was obsessing over relatively minor details. Every car has its 'faults', or idiosyncrasies which I am sure most people learn to adapt to. Porsche make great cars and, yes, they are expensive to buy and run but they return a driving thrill that not many others do, even Audis!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
adam b

Post by adam b »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 pm lack of puddle lights is only one of a long list of "petty" issues with the macan marque, which are standard fit items on most other prestige marques.
Porsche is a marque, Macan is a model, but then that's me being "petty"

Don't have LED front lights and have the bi-xenon fine although I admit I haven't driven in fog yet. I have 21" turbo wheels and no road rash issues yet (14k miles) though I am contemplating fitting some small mud guards. It does sound like you should you have specced a car yourself rather than buying a dealer specced vehicle given your particular tastes.
fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 pm Don't get me wrong I love the car, from its looks, to the engineering and handling, but it is a long way from perfect with servicing costs heavy compared to say and Audi SQ5, I would like Porsche to justify why it costs almost twice as much to change engine oil/filters on a V6 petrol macan than it does on a V6 petrol Audi, the Macan turbo has the same engine as the RS4!
I do think you are focusing on small negatives (that every car has including Audis) in a car you say you love (though you won't buy another and will go back to Audi) and list for more important factors which are positive.

Porsche don't have to justify anything, they charge more because they can, its what premium brands do. Audi will charge more than Ford for the same quality oil and filter change
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)