2019 Macan S puddle lights

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

my macan S appears to have puddle lights installed but they do not switch on/off when the doors are opened closed, they either have no lights/bulbs installed or do they need a software update to operate?
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

Col M

Post by Col M »

Your headlights need to be on auto

Switching on Automatic Coming Home lights

Set light switch to AUTO
The following lights remain switched on for a certain period to allow you to get in and out of the vehicle safely and with improved visibility in darkness:

Daytime running lights
Courtesy lights in the folded-out exterior mirrors (on vehicles with comfort memory or light comfort package.
Front and rear side marker lights
Number plate lights

A
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

I don't have the comfort light package which appears to include the door lights, but have the memory package, Porsche have some very strange ideas when it comes to specifications.

these under door lights are standard on most family cars, Porsche want you to pay extra for them, these items are surely installed upon other cars as a safety item which illuminate when the doors are opened.

the actual light lenses are installed into each door card, not had a chance to remove them yet to see what's underneath and if the actual bulb holders are installed or not, but if not I am totally bewildered that these items are not standard on a £65000 + car, what next windscreen wipers, one or two, on the options list!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Confirmed, no lights installed under the clear/red lenses upon all four doors, cannot believe Porsche would omit these safety items to save a bit of money, they really have opened my eyes when it comes to vehicle specifications, these should be standard fitted items across their range.

I own two Porsches, a Boxster 718S and a Macan S, these will be replaced soon, but not with a Porsche brand, their constant overcharging at service intervals, customer service issues, and average build quality will send me back to Audi.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:55 am Confirmed, no lights installed under the clear/red lenses upon all four doors, cannot believe Porsche would omit these safety items to save a bit of money, they really have opened my eyes when it comes to vehicle specifications, these should be standard fitted items across their range.

I own two Porsches, a Boxster 718S and a Macan S, these will be replaced soon, but not with a Porsche brand, their constant overcharging at service intervals, customer service issues, and average build quality will send me back to Audi.
Where you will lose more money in depreciation than you pay in slightly more costs with a porker - I’ve had several Audi’s before you think I’m a just a Porsche fanboy
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
adam b

Post by adam b »

why are these are crucial "safety item"? its not brakes or ABS, might stop you stepping in a deep puddle I guess :)

with Porsche you do need to interrogate the options list and what it does/doesn't include but Audi option prices are just as silly (ex RS4 owner)
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

adam b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am why are these are crucial "safety item"? its not brakes or ABS, might stop you stepping in a deep puddle I guess :)

with Porsche you do need to interrogate the options list and what it does/doesn't include but Audi option prices are just as silly (ex RS4 owner)
the "puddle lights" have a dual function, when either of the doors are open at night, the bottom half of the light emits a white light to the road, the remainder of the lens is red which emits a red light to warn passing motorists that your door is open, I see that as a safety feature worth having!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

My macan was a Porsche factory specification vehicle, afraid I had no choice to add more extras such as the extended lighting package, which I would have if I had factory/dealer specified my car.

I would like to have these additional lights operating, the light fittings themselves can be purchased from various suppliers out with the main dealer network, but not sure if they can be retrofitted to work without the associated "relays" being optimised by a software change or not, has anyone attempted this mod?
Not even sure if the wiring loom is within the door to proceed any further, if it was a fairly easy fix I would go ahead but not worth the effort if door cards have to be removed and wiring harnesses purchased as well.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
adam b

Post by adam b »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am the "puddle lights" have a dual function, when either of the doors are open at night, the bottom half of the light emits a white light to the road, the remainder of the lens is red which emits a red light to warn passing motorists that your door is open, I see that as a safety feature worth having!
Will have to check my car now, would have thought a light on the side edge of the door rather than the bottom would do a better job.

Alternatively look in the mirror and over you shoulder before opening the door? Sorry but I have a pet hate of namby pambyism and I am not seeing the big issue here. if the lack of puddle lights means you are no longer buying a Porsche again then maybe you don't get the reason many like the marque
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Paul

Post by Paul »

My GTS (yes, with the optional light comfort pack) has what I call puddle lights in the bottom of the mirror housing which come on when the car is first unlocked.

Then, in the rear of the door pockets there is a red LED element which comes on when the door is open. With no light comfort pack this is a reflector (giving nearly as much “safety” to a person who might open their door without checking first)

There is also a further (white) LED element in the bottom if the door which also comes on when the door is opened.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465