Towing

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I occasionally tow a horsebox laden weight over 1.5 tonne. The rear of the car creaks. It’s like the bodyshell and chassis moves causing the internal plastics to flex and creak. Definitely a plastic type noise. Anybody else?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Hi, Will be starting towing with my Macan in three weeks time. Will let you know how it goes.

Is your towbar the factory Porsche one?. Reason I ask is there is a fair amount of hard plastic below the bumper, which, if not cut away fully might be catching?
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Connoisseur wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:27 pm Hi, Will be starting towing with my Macan in three weeks time. Will let you know how it goes.

Is your towbar the factory Porsche one?. Reason I ask is there is a fair amount of hard plastic below the bumper, which, if not cut away fully might be catching?
Yes. Factory fitted retractable.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I last towed in our (now deceased :( ) Q5 about 5 years ago, but used to get that groaning/squeaking noise. That was only a 2 bike motorcycle trailer, so all up weight not more than 500kg? Used to also happen in our previous tow car, an Audi A3.

I always thought it was down to the towball/cup interface grinding and resonating through the back end of the car? I was always tempted to grease the ball, but that is not recommended?

However, when I towed heavier, such as 6m Ribs full of dive tanks and also horse boxes 20 years ago, I used a Disco II, which had a separate chassis/bodyshell and I never experienced the same noises then?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:38 am I last towed in our (now deceased :( ) Q5 about 5 years ago, but used to get that groaning/squeaking noise. That was only a 2 bike motorcycle trailer, so all up weight not more than 500kg? Used to also happen in our previous tow car, an Audi A3.

I always thought it was down to the towball/cup interface grinding and resonating through the back end of the car? I was always tempted to grease the ball, but that is not recommended?

However, when I towed heavier, such as 6m Ribs full of dive tanks and also horse boxes 20 years ago, I used a Disco II, which had a separate chassis/bodyshell and I never experienced the same noises then?
Recommended or not I always lightly grease my ball. It’s definitely an internal noise. Nothing like my previous X5, RR or Discos. I hear it then forget until the next time.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Tow ball should be lightly greased if used with a conventional hitch such as a trailer. Do not grease if used with a stabiliser type hitch with friction pads as used on caravans. The grease will contaminate the pads.

I find lightly greasing the tow ball reduces the groaning noises!
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

As above use no grease on a friction pad type hitch as used with caravans; instead a good clean of the tow ball and inside the hitch cup using brake cleaner is recommended - certainly worked for me..