Painting Macan brake discs... ( image heavy )

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

How OCD are you?
Having been on this forum since 2015, many members seem to have sold their Macans and bought 911’s (or Pani’s) before the windscreen washer bottle needed refilling (😀), while I loved my Sapphire SD for 3 years / c 54k miles.

However over that time, 2 things became rusty:
1) black retaining spring clips on the rear hatch hydraulic struts. ( not available as replacement parts from Porsche - I tried.....)
2) centre part of the brake discs ( non swept area), very visible with wheels like the 20 ins SportDesign & 21ins Sport Classics.

I recently bought a lightly used Macan Turbo, ( 17 months old, less than 4k miles) & perhaps due to the low milage, the brake disc centres were just showing similar signs of corrosion starting.
I am planning to keep the Turbo for a while (until the facelift GTS perhaps...) so I decided to do some Macan DIY 😵.

1. Using trolley jack & axle stand, remove wheel ( remember to disable air suspension levelling, if fitted)
2. I used a Dremel and 25mm wire wheels to clean off all dirt and any signs of corrosion. They won’t mark the disc swept area ( but mask off/protect the calipers). Coarse wire wool could be used - the dremel is much faster - c 10 mins per hub.
3. I also cleaned corrosion from around the centre of the hub where it locates into the alloy wheel, it is ring- shaped, but didn’t paint this to reduce incidence of wheel binding to hubs.
4. Mask up very carefully, including wheel bolt holes and the head of the disc retaining torx screw.
5. Spray with high temperature paint - I used silver ( to keep it ‘factory’) Stove & BBQ paint from B&Q - good for 650 degrees C.
This ‘Rustoleum’ branded paint worked well : light &even spray, tight spray arc/ no overspray, no nozzle clogging,
6. Remove all masking & let it really dry well, before refitting the wheel, otherwise the paint will stick to the inside mounting face of the wheel. ( I used a paint stripper heat gun to be sure...)
7. For info - the wheel bolt torque is 160Nm.

Stating the obvious - it is vital to not paint the brake disc swept area !! ( wire wool will clean up any minor masking errors).

08CC808F-8DD3-4AE6-977F-269ED38F0D81.jpeg

AA32E380-6049-483B-A099-EC6416260319.jpeg

EC58748E-1863-4A46-935F-2969495D340A.jpeg

AD34695B-4340-4FA0-B04C-367C85D0376E.jpeg

Last edited by Funrider on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,

jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

My brakes were fine after almost 3 years and 40k, but I just wanted a change from the silver versions, so got the wheels powder coated and the brakes painted by a company in Manchester:

Don't worry, the wheels are just dirty, but they clean up lovely.

James