21" too big?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Ponbon wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm I'm happy new owner of the Macan 2015. My summer wheels are the one-piece alloy wheels in 5-spoke Sport Classic design. Painted Black (high-gloss), 21". They look damn good. But I'm scared of running in a pothole or something. The ride being bumpy.

I'm thinking they are too big? My main priority is comfort. I'm thinking of trading them for the 20" RS Spyder wheels. Would it make it difference in that case?

Currently I'm on aftermarket 19" for winter wheels and the ride is smooth and perfect. Feels really good. I want to maintain this feeling.

Thanks guys! :)
After nearly 3 years of 21" on air, I'd say the ride does suffer compared to 20" on air (I had that on my previous Macan).
I specced my current car with Turbo Exterior Pack which pre-selected the 21" 911 Turbo Design wheels (but with side bits painted black compared to the ordinary ones).

I would have preferred the 20" spiders, painted black, and as I'm planning to keep my car longer, I think I may well do this next spring.

There are times, on a bright sunny day with low sun, that the skinny rubber on my car looks ridiculous. Proportions seem all wrong.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Having spent a career in tyre manufacturing and sales, I specifically chose the 19" option on my Macan with PASM. Primarily to get the best ride quality, while retaining great road holding.

A BWM ride & suspension engineer once told me that they spend many months perfecting the ride and handling of a new model and optimising the wheel diameter and width. Then Marketing come along and insist on offering bigger wheel options that detracts from all their diligent work!

A secondary reason I chose 19" being to avoid curbing damage. 18 months on and not a single nick in any of my alloys. (Hope I'm not tempting fate now!).

The look of the 21" on the Macan is superb and the ride quality is still so much better than many other cars. But those low tyre sidewalls make it just so easy to damage those lovely 21" alloys. So I admire them, but do not want them on my car.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
goron59

Post by goron59 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am Having spent a career in tyre manufacturing and sales, I specifically chose the 19" option on my Macan with PASM. Primarily to get the best ride quality, while retaining great road holding.

A BWM ride & suspension engineer once told me that they spend many months perfecting the ride and handling of a new model and optimising the wheel diameter and width. Then Marketing come along and insist on offering bigger wheel options that detracts from all their diligent work!

A secondary reason I chose 19" being to avoid curbing damage. 18 months on and not a single nick in any of my alloys. (Hope I'm not tempting fate now!).

The look of the 21" on the Macan is superb and the ride quality is still so much better than many other cars. But those low tyre sidewalls make it just so easy to damage those lovely 21" alloys. So I admire them, but do not want them on my car.
Definitely a lot in what you say here, although since my Macan ownership (6 months on 20", nearly 3 years on 21") I've had zero wheel damage either, but I suspect that's more down to surround cameras than anything else! All of my previous motoring years have had at least one minor scuff, so I'm convinced that was money well spent!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
andreas

Post by andreas »

goron59 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:14 pm
Definitely a lot in what you say here, although since my Macan ownership (6 months on 20", nearly 3 years on 21") I've had zero wheel damage either, but I suspect that's more down to surround cameras than anything else! All of my previous motoring years have had at least one minor scuff, so I'm convinced that was money well spent!
Dead right! SurroundView is worth its weight in gold.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Digger11

Post by Digger11 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am Having spent a career in tyre manufacturing and sales, I specifically chose the 19" option on my Macan with PASM. Primarily to get the best ride quality, while retaining great road holding.

Identical thinks ng to me.
I couldnt quite work out why I spent so much on options but stuck with the 19" tyres and air and PASM. But everytime I go for a drive I just love the luxury.
To me a 250kw Porsche is sporty enough anyway.
But I still admire the look of the 20 and 21" tyres, but they are just not for me.
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

I've always thought this! Prototype & pre-prod cars are almost always developed & tested on 'standard' wheels (usually 18 or 19 inch)

Sure these huge wheels 'look' the mutts nuts, they really do, but a Porsche for me is a drivers car not a posers car (there are far more cost-effective ways of posing!!) So 20 inch would be absolute max for me (but I'd probably stick with 19s and spend the money saved on other options)
Ponbon

Post by Ponbon »

You guys convinced me. I'm ordering the 20" RS Spyder wheels. They look so damn good :)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Ponbon wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 pm You guys convinced me. I'm ordering the 20" RS Spyder wheels. They look so damn good :)
This article / video uses a Golf GTi with 17" to 19", rather than the Macan with its 18" to 21" wheel options, but maybe of interest:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Th ... IwKiXuoGa4

I specified 18" alloys on our recent purchase of the [sister to the GTi] Leon 2.0i and we're very happy with the compromise. :D
Steve

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Capture.PNG

Steve

wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

i am currently looking at a GTS with 21" Sport Classics...
I would prefer the 20" spyders....(satin black)... (purely a taste thing...)

Slightly off topic but what are the forum thoughts on replacing the 21s with 20"s after purchase? Should I go to a dealer or try and find a private seller?

Also - is any special configuration required or is it a simple replacement? Any advice would be appreciated...
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+