Corrosion on one wheel.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I had my car given the Gtechniq ceramic coating earlier this week. The Detailer, Ben, pointed out some corrosion on one of the 21" 911 turbo wheels spokes. Nothing would shift it. As it's in to the OPC in Bolton on Monday for the black tailpipes to be replaced, I'll ask them to look at it. Just one wheel. As I bought it 'previously loved' or secondhand depending how posh you are, I can't vouch for how the wheels have been cleaned by the previous owner. I use Bilberry wheel cleaner which is none acidic and wheel woolies. I hadn't spotted this issue probably because I can't bend down that far! Hope to get it sorted either with a refurb or new wheel under warranty.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:50 pm I had my car given the Gtechniq ceramic coating earlier this week. The Detailer, Ben, pointed out some corrosion on one of the 21" 911 turbo wheels spokes. Nothing would shift it. As it's in to the OPC in Bolton on Monday for the black tailpipes to be replaced, I'll ask them to look at it. Just one wheel. As I bought it 'previously loved' or secondhand depending how posh you are, I can't vouch for how the wheels have been cleaned by the previous owner. I use Bilberry wheel cleaner which is none acidic and wheel woolies. I hadn't spotted this issue probably because I can't bend down that far! Hope to get it sorted either with a refurb or new wheel under warranty.
Are they diamond cut? The wheels on my Aston started corroding too. The dealer had to send them off to be re-finished and re-lacquered
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Diamond cut wheels are a nightmare, only takes one stone chip or a scratch to break the clear lacquer on the polished areas for the white worm to start and creep under the surrounding areas.

It can be refurbished of course but limited number of times this can be done as the polished areas are recut on a lathe. Probably looking at £150 per wheel or more given most places have prices that rise with wheel size.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

As OP stated diamond cut with just clear lacquer on the machined surface, any small hard sharp stone/metal kicked up from the road can potentially penetrate the coating, thus exposing the metal to the elements. Yet to have a car with diamond cut wheels where this hasn’t happened at some point throughout my ownership. If you can spot it before corrosion sets in, a touch of clear coat lacquer can solve it, although can be hard to spot. The OPC won’t be replacing with a new wheel, they may agree to have it refurbed, but this actually is considered fair wear and tear by most, be interesting to know their response.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

OPC looked at the wheel and said they couldn't see anything! When I next get around to cleaning the car, I'll have a closer look and take a few pictures if I can see anything. I may get my youngest son to have a look as he has better eyes and back.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Woollyjoe

Post by Woollyjoe »

If wheel was previously refurbed, it’s likely they never did a proper refurb but simply skimmed the edge and respray Ed the face. It doesn’t last and pops / flakes off eventually. Exposing the raw alloy and corroding.