Repaired alloy - lacquer chipped off, new or existing repair

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

[/quote]

Certainly looks like the surface layer coming away from the original patching up, thats definitely not a "scrape". Was the repair guaranteed? If they won't take responsibility now give it time its looking as if all will be revealed in due course.
[/quote]

Thanks, yes there was a warranty and I'm trying to claim against it.

randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:14 am
randomscot22 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 am Looking for some advice / critique. We had front driver alloy (20-inch RS Spyder) on our 2018 Macan S repaired ca. April last year (under Car Care Plan alloy insurance). The same alloy now has a chip in the lacquer. I sent photos to CCP as the area looked very similar to where the original damage was. They've come back and said (after checking with repair company) this is new damage.

From my perspective the area looks very similar. Unfortunately the tyres have been replaced since so difficult to prove this. I also realise there are a lot of spokes and so I maybe being an idiot and it is new damage ! Interested in thoughts / critique on this before taking further.

Here are some pictures - apologies they aren't perfect:

1. The original damage April/21

21-03 Closeup IMG_1051.jpg

2. Picture I took to show damage to lacquer November/21

21-11 Closeup IMG_2619.jpeg

3. Picture I took this morning - looks like further erosion January 22

22-01 Closeup IMG_3079.jpeg
Certainly looks like the surface layer coming away from the original patching up, thats definitely not a "scrape". Was the repair guaranteed? If they won't take responsibility now give it time its looking as if all will be revealed in due course.
Thanks, yes there was a warranty and I'm trying to claim against it.
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:06 am Which company did that repair?
I'm not sure of the exact repair contractor, but the insurance was Car Car Plan. Policy sold by OPC with car.
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

keelolo wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:26 pm There's a small nick in the grey paint on the next spoke down - this doesn't look like it is present in the first photo of the original damage. Could that be why they said it looked like a different area?
Thanks, and good spot. I've gone through other photos (see later reply).
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:34 pm Lesson to be learned for all of us, photograph the whole wheel so the tyre valve is visible as well as the damaged area.

You then have a record.

Also on my SD I had to have a tyre repaired following a puncture and after watching how the Kwik Fit not so better fitter was as rough as the Badgers ….. I vowed never to use them again and only use an OPC.
Thanks - prompted me to go through all the photos I had historically for the original claim. In fairness when making a claim they asked you to send a distance photo. Based on this, I've now got evidence (through the position of the valve) that it is the same area on the allow. I feel a little dumb now as I was thinking of the centre logo as a reference point until I realised that also had to come off during the tyre switch, but realise valve position is static - DOH !

Echo your comment on taking good quality photos..
randomscot22

Post by randomscot22 »

Thanks all for the replies on this (I tried to reply when someone asked a question / made a specific comment so apologies if I didn't reply to you !). So I have dug out all the photos and realised I had one with the valve position. Just spent the last 30 mins pulling together a note that shows that the area is the same. I'm pretty sure it has come off during the tyre switch. The work was done by a van to the home and so I'm sure as noted it was only a small area that was touched up. It is covered under warranty. They originally pushed back, but thanks to this post I have a slightly stronger case. Will post how it goes, and thanks again for the help..