Spacesaver wheel

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

DGC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm Can you tell me if the standard tyres on a Macan S are runflats?. I have has these on previous BMW and Mercedes cars. Thanks
No Porsche do not use runflats.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

jaffacake wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:41 pm I think you'd be lucky to find a breakdown patrol with a suitable space saver.

My brother recently got a puncture on his SQ5, which has smaller wheels than our Macan, and they had to put it on a low loader from the lake district as they didn't have a spare and couldn't find a mobile tyre fitter with a tyre that would fit.
Not only that but my OPC and several other local tyre places did not have stock of Macan 21" tyres and could only get me them in 24hrs or more, appears no one stocks these, so all need to be ordered.

So you wait for the AA, they don't have a spare, they take you on a low loader to an OPC, you wait 24hrs and pay a 25% premium for the OPC to order and fit and 2 days later you have a new tyre. Or you can change it in 20mins like I did recently.

When I started driving all cars had spares and you would never think of calling someone out to replace a tyre, you'd do it yourself. Might be different if I was on the hard shoulder of a fast moving motorway, that would be a more dangerous proposition.

No run flats on the Macan in answer to another post.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

DGC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 pm That’s a fair point. Thanks
It’s a point, but with a lot of “If’s” 🤔 if you have a phone signal, if you can wait for several hours, if they have a tyre 😳. Bit like any insurance, you hope you will never need to use it.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
GavalarW

Post by GavalarW »

Agree...for the sake of £161 or whatever it is, its hardly worth debating - safer to have in my opinion. Depends how far you travel - I will regularly be traveling from Yorkshire to Scotland and therefore having a space saver is essential. If you mainly drive locally then maybe not such a big deal.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Even if you didn't want one, it would be worth ordering to sell at a small profit to another forum member who regrets the omission :lol:
DGC

Post by DGC »

Afraid the issue is I do want one but my order is now locked so I can’t add it in. I will have to purchase as an after thought and pay the appropriate price which seems to be circa £500 from previous posts.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Marksmacan wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 pm Hi everyone. Just purchased a new spacesaver wheel for my 2016 Macan as I only had the puncture repair kit and like everyone else I’m concerned about a puncture that can’t be repaired roadside.
Does anyone know if Porsche supply the securing bolt/nut to secure the wheel in position. I’m also in the market for the foam insert if anyone knows of one.
I think the securing bolt you need is item 2 in my invoice. I bought a spacesaver set for Macan No 1, cost was around £450. I transferred it to Macan No2.
In almost 25,000 Macan miles it was never used, even though I had a catastrophic puncture in central France 250 miles from Calais.
The boot was full and it was not the place to empty it out and change the wheel myself. I called Porsche rescue Europe, and was on a low loader within 20 minutes, taken to a main tyre depot, a new tyre was sourced, collected by taxi and I was on my way within 4 hrs, including a 90 minute French lunch break.
Although I never had any value out of the expense, it was an insurance policy because I drive in Europe a lot.

Is it worth it - on a new car yes, to buy and add to a car if you drive only in the UK, I wouldn't bother.

To: DGC - RunFlats - On a Porsche ???? PU LLLLease!!!!!

DSC01087 (1).jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

img-170114142315-0001.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Not for me. I'd rather get the breakdown company out. See:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/sa ... are-wheels
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver