Winter tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I ran Summer tyres for years on my Jag and drove in all conditions and never had any issues at all driving in wet, ice and snow.

Macan has Summer tyres fitted and the first time I drove it on snow was interesting to say the lease, very squirmy and one needs to take great care.

Instructor at the PEC suggested All Seasons as the best for UK roads, but I decided against those on their inferior braking performance particularly during the warmer months.

Plenty of threads here on the Pros and Cons.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

If I could only ever do one ‘mod’ to every future can I own it would be a separate set of winter wheels/tyres.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

jonnydrama wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 am If I could only ever do one ‘mod’ to every future can I own it would be a separate set of winter wheels/tyres.
Agreed. Providing you live in a part of the country where sub 7C temperatures are often continuous in the winter months. And that you have to drive when there is snow or ice on untreated roads.

Personally I would not risk my Macan in those conditions anyway because it's - 2 tons, high power output and the value of it. If you can it's better to have a second or third car that's a cheaper, lighter, 4x4 or FWD and then fit a set of 4 winter tyres. Those smaller tyres will be cheaper and better at cutting through snow and ice too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

^^^ That's my conclusion too and there's a Twinair sat outside! It'll probably be fine on summer tyres in a bit of snow, never had a moments problem (other than self inflicted) in snow with a mini, a metro or anything really up until after I parked my MG Maestro on its roof in a field (no snow involved) the Cavalier SRI that replaced it was hopeless. I put it down to the extra width of tyres, 20mm, maybe but enough to make a few local roads impassable that never had been before.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Peter Lythell

Post by Peter Lythell »

I have a set of Porsche Macan S 18" wheels and winter tyres for sale £800 ono. Tyres are Continental Conti Winter Contact, speed rated 105 V, approx 5mm tread. Fronts are 235/60 R18; rears are 255/55 R18. Bought from Porsche Centre Swindon at a cost of £2,100. Used for approx 2 months each year for last 4 years ski holidays. Carefully cleaned and stored each year. Absolutely unmarked. Wheels & tyres offered for sale as I sold my Macan in July and the dealer didn't want them as they don't sell second hand wheels. Photos can be sent separately by email - not sure how to attach photos to forum messages. Available in Surrey