Winter tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Calico

Post by Calico »

I am considering getting winter tyres. Question is, are they worth it for a standard wet, not snowy, UK winter. If they are, is changing tyres round twice a year feasible or should I get a set of wheels as well?
Any recommendations if so for wheels and tyres.
Thanks

Guy

Post by Guy »

Lots of thoughts on the subject back here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5369&p=110081
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

I use winters all year round as they are simply much much better in the wet and when the temp is a little lower which is fairly common here in Scotland (and indeed in much of the UK). They last longer than summer tyres and IMO are quieter too due to softer compound. And you don't have to change them so one set of wheels is all you need. In terms of dry grip our Macans have loads of grip anyway so unless you are looking for all out grip for track use or very fast dry road use winters are a no brainer. Plus if you ever need to take your Mac off road you will have a lot more grip than summers, even a wet grassy field will be difficult with summers. Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 are N rated and I think they are brilliant, much better that the all seasons that I ordered when car was specced. (N rated all seasons are no longer available BTW)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A lot depends on your usage and where you live.

Winter tyres work best at temperatures of 7C or lower. Is your area in that range for most of the winter months?

Biggest issue is the other traffic still on summer tyres in snowy / icy road conditions. Either them sliding into you or you getting stuck behind them :o

If you do not want to have the cost of buying a set of winter tyres plus alloys, then all season tyres are a compromise. If your Macan is still under the Porsche warranty then go for N0 marked tyres, like the Michelin Latitude Tour HP....
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10326&start=10
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Calico

Post by Calico »

All helpful thanks.
I see Porsche winter wheels/tyres come with M&S tyres. Does anyone have experience of these, particularly in terms of noise and grip? Or would proper winter tyres be better?
Guy

Post by Guy »

Calico wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm All helpful thanks.
I see Porsche winter wheels/tyres come with M&S tyres. Does anyone have experience of these, particularly in terms of noise and grip? Or would proper winter tyres be better?
If in the market for winter tyres, I would be sure to get those that meet (and are marked with) the 'Three Peaks Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF)' qualification, thus making sure that they are acceptable in those countries (eg Germany) that mandate winter tyres in certain conditions. I would be very surprised if the Porsche Tequipment Winter Tyres sets did not meet this requirement.

Edit: Here's a link that explains: https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/blog/lis ... many-when/
pmg

Post by pmg »

Calico wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm All helpful thanks.
I have a set of Porsche Tequipment 18inch Macan S wheels fitted with Continental winter contact ts 830 with N type approval and are very happy with them. They are Snowflake standard
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Lived in Germany and Switzerland where winter tyres are normal. All the ones I have ever had were marked M&S (mud and stone) as well as the snowflake symbol, so that shouldn’t worry you. As to more grip etc. It depends how and when you drive. At normal speeds you may never know. However in an emergency your braking distance will be significantly shorter. In snow it will make a big difference. For all the bla bla that rwd cars (bmw, merc) are rubbish in winter it’s a lot to do with tyres. Winter tyres on a bmw will transform the levels of grip. And surprisingly most of my winter tyres have been quieter than the summer. IMHO you put winter tyres on because they will be there on the few occasions you need them. You stop before you hit the car in front rather than in it’s boot.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have 20” winters with Dunlop NO tyres, they are definitely noisier than my 21” summer Michelin’s. However, I like to clean and store my 21” wheels over winter and use the 20’s.
Also handy when you need new tyres and don’t trust anyone to take the wheels off, just pop them in the boot and drive them to the tyre depot.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

111rdw wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:07 pm Lived in Germany and Switzerland where winter tyres are normal. All the ones I have ever had were marked M&S (mud and stone) as well as the snowflake symbol, so that shouldn’t worry you. As to more grip etc. It depends how and when you drive. At normal speeds you may never know. However in an emergency your braking distance will be significantly shorter. In snow it will make a big difference. For all the bla bla that rwd cars (bmw, merc) are rubbish in winter it’s a lot to do with tyres. Winter tyres on a bmw will transform the levels of grip. And surprisingly most of my winter tyres have been quieter than the summer. IMHO you put winter tyres on because they will be there on the few occasions you need them. You stop before you hit the car in front rather than in it’s boot.
Good points re braking performance.

It’s Mud and Snow btw ;)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA