Brake light on - question

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If your SD happens to be fitted with air suspension don't forget to disable the self levelling before jacking the car up (instructions in the manual).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

If anyone is having a go at fitting the parts themselves, there is a good piece on youtube that shows how it's done. The pads at least. If I remember, it's a guy from the USA doing the video. But the torx type male socket, is an unusual size. I got a set to include it from MachineMart. Good luck.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Is it a guy with a red GTS? If it is I'd proceed with caution, he re-used all the caliper stretch bolts and didn't torque anything to spec. Good for familiarisation though I guess. I think the socket is an M14 triple square and the disc is a T30 torx, will double check when I pick up parts though.

I don't have air suspension On-Track, good shout though as I've seen scary stories when the car then tries to level itself!!
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Done the job this morning so here's what I can advise...

Ok so as CamGTS advised earlier rightly no software is needed, once the sensors are replaced you're good to go.

The pad retainers might have had a slight re-design as they went in pretty easy. I applied textar ceratex grease to the contact points, engaged one side then pushed directly in the middle and the other side popped in.

No special tools really, just M14 triple square for the caliper bolts and T30 torx for the disc, nothing else needs to be removed. I used a regular caliper wind back tool with the old pads still in place (so the backing plate would spread the load to the outer pistons). I would recommend a decent sized breaker bar to get the last 90 degree turn into the caliper bolts.

Calipers were absolutely minging inside so took a bit of time trying to clean them without much success!!

Stuck the new pads in with some textar ceratex grease on the contact points and textar paste on the retainer cylinder things. Took me about 3.5 to 4 hours doing it at the road side. I think that's the first discs mine have seen in 60k so I spent some time cleaning up the hubs to ensure I didn't have run out issues.