New tyre day

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

GWL wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm Just had my rear 2 tyres replaced due to one of them being punctured by what looked like shards of metal. The tires still had about 4mm tread but the puncture was not repairable so I got both replaced.

Previously (as pointed out by my OPC on a couple of occasions) the front tyres were N0 and the rears N1. So I took the opportunity to get N0s fitted to the rear so all the N ratings now match. How critical this is I don't know, and seems odd to replacing a revised version of a tyre (N1) with an older version (N0) - but I don't want any warranty quibbles and couldn't afford to go N1 all round.

Anyway, new rear tyres are Michelin Latitude Sport 3 (N0) 295/35 R21 Y (103) and cost £387.30 for the pair all inclusive from Blackcircles, fitted at an Halfords service centre.
They did a pretty good job - tyre pressures correct all round too.
As long as the tyres are N rated and the number is the same for both tyres on the same axle, there is no problem if the number differs from front to back.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Was surprised to see that my car was delivered (Oct 20) with “Good Year F1 Eagle” treads. Was expecting Michelin or Pirelli, although Pirelli’s usually for me have a shorter life than you’d expect. They have been fine so far but just picked up a screw through one of the rears, to near the sidewall for repair 😩 So replacing today, 20” Black Circle £195, OPC wanted £245, offered £10 off when queried. Halfords price matched BC and they stock black balance weights, which surprisingly not all other tyre companies offer.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

On-Track wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am Out of interest, how many miles did you get out of the Pirellis?
We bought the car with 12k miles on the clock, they were already fitted but passed OPC as appeared to have plenty of tread at the time.

Car has now done 19k miles and front left got an expected advisory on the recent MOT, but was still legal. Front right wasn't far behind, but the rears still had 3-4mm of tread - mainly local stop/start driving with limited motorway use, or indeed use at all.

I found the P-Zeros to be good summer tyres, when warm, but performance was naturally limited when the tyres were cold. On a cool, wet day I found they became unstuck quite easily on roundabouts until they were properly warmed up - which just doesn't happen on the short journeys we do.

I'm expecting the Michelin will hit optimum temperature earlier in the journey and we'll get better grip as a result when navigating local t-junctions and roundabouts where we'd find the P-Zero scrubbed a bit when cold.

At the extreme (illegal) high end I'd expect the Latitude won't quite be as good as the P-Zero, this is where the Pilot Sport 4 would work better, but for our day to day family driving I'd prefer a tyre that reached optimum temperature easier when my wife is driving.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Ti Rich wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am That's a very good price! Does that include fitting too?

N0, N1 or N2?

I am having 4 x 21" Michelin N2 fitted next week. I thought £880 was a good price but obviously not!
Price all in, including fitting and disposal etc.

They has N0, N1 and N2 available, all around the same price - N2 was a little higher but I had no interest and opted for the cheaper N0.
---

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Tim92gts wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 pm
On-Track wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am Out of interest, how many miles did you get out of the Pirellis?
I'd be interested to know, 15k miles and mine are nearly down to the wear strips.
The last 7k miles in our ownership definitely wore them fast. I think Driving Miss Daisy owned the car before us!
---

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

On-Track wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:10 pm
GWL wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm Just had my rear 2 tyres replaced due to one of them being punctured by what looked like shards of metal. The tires still had about 4mm tread but the puncture was not repairable so I got both replaced.

Previously (as pointed out by my OPC on a couple of occasions) the front tyres were N0 and the rears N1. So I took the opportunity to get N0s fitted to the rear so all the N ratings now match. How critical this is I don't know, and seems odd to replacing a revised version of a tyre (N1) with an older version (N0) - but I don't want any warranty quibbles and couldn't afford to go N1 all round.

Anyway, new rear tyres are Michelin Latitude Sport 3 (N0) 295/35 R21 Y (103) and cost £387.30 for the pair all inclusive from Blackcircles, fitted at an Halfords service centre.
They did a pretty good job - tyre pressures correct all round too.
As long as the tyres are N rated and the number is the same for both tyres on the same axle, there is no problem if the number differs from front to back.
Worth pointing out, as I've seen others confused on this, an N0 Michelin is not the same as an N0 Pirelli.

All tyres should be the same Brand/Model e.g. Michelin P-Zero or Michelin Latitude and also be N rated.

Ideally all of those tyres with have the same N number but, if a matching tyres isn't available, you can fit different number front and back but they must match on the same axle.

Summary - you shouldn't fit Michelin N0 on the front and Pirelli N0 on the rear - they aren't the same.
---

N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

New tyre day for me today, fresh set for summer fitted at home by Kwikfit man in a van
4 x Continental Sport Contact for £578, hope they last longer than the 16,000 that the P Zero’s they replaced had managed.
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

N111BJG wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:46 pm New tyre day for me today, fresh set for summer fitted at home by Kwikfit man in a van
4 x Continental Sport Contact for £578, hope they last longer than the 16,000 that the P Zero’s they replaced had managed.
Great price. Did that include balancing and casing disposal of the P Zeros that were no heroes! :lol:
What size are they?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I can't be driving mine quick enough. :roll: As my 21" Pirelli P Zeros did approx 35000 mls. That was a hell of a lot of continental motorway driving though. Historically Michelin tyres were always the high mileage tyre, but they don't seem to get mentioned much on performance car forums. But they are good enough for F1 cars.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 am I can't be driving mine quick enough. :roll: As my 21" Pirelli P Zeros did approx 35000 mls. That was a hell of a lot of continental motorway driving though. Historically Michelin tyres were always the high mileage tyre, but they don't seem to get mentioned much on performance car forums. But they are good enough for F1 cars.
Michelins don't get mentioned much? I would say for the last 5 years they're the brand to have and are mentioned everywhere.
Pzero were the worst tyre I've ever had along side Bridgestones (nick named tombstones they were that bad). Bought the S4 with Bridgestones on and got rid quickly, and the Pzero were on the RS6 when I got it and had a sideways moment chancing a Ferrari at an island in the dry.

35k on a set of tyres is impressive.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)