Macan GTS Steel vs Air

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Thanks for the replies

Like most things everyone has there own preferences and that is the one good thing about being able to change the specification but also a double edged sword if you can’t test before locking the choices in the configurator.

The PTV for me is a must, even though I don’t often switch it on in the S4, as I do notice the difference when pushing on.

The 21” wheels are only because I don’t like the black 20” spyder’s.

So apart from peoples personal preferences the GTS rides at the same ride height with steel or AS in normal height and also the AS can give a lower ride height if required which in theory should make it better.

Spring/Air stiffness at normal ride height is probably similar.

I will have to see if I can find a pair of GTS’s for sale with and without AS.

Jim

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Jim S wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm
So apart from peoples personal preferences the GTS rides at the same ride height with steel or AS in normal height and also the AS can give a lower ride height if required which in theory should make it better.
The GTS on air suspension at normal height rides 10mm lower than a GTS on steel suspension. The ground clearance on steel is 190mm whereas on air it's 180mm.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

On-Track wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 am
Jim S wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm
The GTS on air suspension at normal height rides 10mm lower than a GTS on steel suspension. The ground clearance on steel is 190mm whereas on air it's 180mm.
So that must mean it will sit even lower on air when dropped down to low
JJay

Post by JJay »

Might not be an ideal solution given the different vehicle characteristics but see if you can test steel vs air in any of the same Macan models back to back. When ordering a Gen2 GTS I drove my 2016 Gen1 on steel the 40 odd miles to an OPC to test the new model. This demo had air and I didn't like it. Driven back to back it did feel floaty and in all modes displayed different ride characteristics that left me feeling less connected with the vehicle and how it was moving down the road. Not sure it managed comfort well either as the wife is a notoriously bad passenger and it left her feeling nauseous.

As with anything it's a subjective opinion, this was the first time I'd driven a car on air, and owners that have it seem to love it so see if you can arrange a direct comparison. Lot of money to spend on a car and you need to be sure it's right for you, especially with something as important as the ride. 8 months on and I'm still questioning whether I should have left the side blades standard black.

Good luck with your research.