Macan GTS Steel vs Air

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

I have put a deposit down on a GTS and still have time to make changes on the configuration and after reading lots of posts on suspension I still can’t quite make my mind up on the steel springs or air.

I will be running 21” wheels for summer & 20” in winter and will also have PTV.

I currently have an Audi S4 Avant and was going to go for the RS4 next but for various reasons I can’t and I think the GTS should be perfect for my needs

I also normally keep my cars quite a long time, only two cars in the last twenty years, so I like to get the correct spec for what I need.

So I am just after some information and advice.

Does the GTS with AS have the same ride height as a GTS on steel but then have the option of going lower and also higher?

I am really more bothered about handling rather than comfort, I do realise it’s an SUV not a sports car and I have a track/motorsport car for fun (I will be using the GTS for towing) but I also enjoy a spirited drive on A & B roads when possible.

Does anyone have some helpful advice?

Thanks

Jim

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Standard GTS is steel springs with PASM and sits 15mm lower than Base,S and Turbo models. GTS with air is adjustable and lowers ride height a further 10mm if in Sport/Plus mode. Compared to your Audi’s the ride is more comfortable and still well planted, (actually amazing for a SUV). With 21” wheels I would always choose air, others here have differing opinions but if you want to have the lowest stance ride height it’s air 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The Macan does handle well for a big SUV.

Air should help it handle even better.

I looked at an S4 before the Macan but thought that the Macan was just a bit more "special". :D
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

MikeM wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 pm Standard GTS is steel springs with PASM and sits 15mm lower than Base,S and Turbo models. GTS with air is adjustable and lowers ride height a further 10mm if in Sport/Plus mode. Compared to your Audi’s the ride is more comfortable and still well planted, (actually amazing for a SUV). With 21” wheels I would always choose air, others here have differing opinions but if you want to have the lowest stance ride height it’s air 👍
Thanks for the reply.

On the standard ride height is the GTS with air similar in stiffness to the GTS with steel and also if lowered does that stiffen the car as well?

On the low or high ride heights can it be driven at the chosen height regardless of speed or does it revert back to normal at some point?

Jim
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Jim S wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:34 pm
MikeM wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 pm Standard GTS is steel springs with PASM and sits 15mm lower than Base,S and Turbo models. GTS with air is adjustable and lowers ride height a further 10mm if in Sport/Plus mode. Compared to your Audi’s the ride is more comfortable and still well planted, (actually amazing for a SUV). With 21” wheels I would always choose air, others here have differing opinions but if you want to have the lowest stance ride height it’s air 👍
Thanks for the reply.

On the standard ride height is the GTS with air similar in stiffness to the GTS with steel and also if lowered does that stiffen the car as well?

On the low or high ride heights can it be driven at the chosen height regardless of speed or does it revert back to normal at some point?

Jim
Slight correction to Mike's post. GTS on air rides 10mm lower than Base, S or Turbo in normal as well as Sport/Sport Plus modes.

I've never seen spring rates published for either steel suspension or air suspension so no idea what the definitive answer to your question is. To the best of my knowledge, lowering the suspension does not affect the stiffness. Wording from the Macan brochure:

Air suspension.
For a high level of comfort and tremendous dynamic performance, you have the option of an air suspension including PASM. With this setup, the car is 15mm lower than with the standard steel spring suspension. The effect? An optimum balance between driving comfort and dynamics, as well as a sporty look. The self-levelling function helps to maintain a constant vehicle position. If desired, you can switch the ground clearance to three levels: High Level I, Normal Level and Low Level I. At High Level I, the car is 40mm above Normal Level; at Low
Level I, 10mm below it. Loading Level is especially practical: the rear end only lowers 30mm from normal level to make it easier to load the car. This function is operated by means of a button in the luggage compartment.

High level is actually only selectable by pressing the off-road button. Above a certain speed (which I'd need to look up) high level deselects and the car reverts to normal.

At speeds above somewhere around 70-80mile/h low level is automatically selected and then deselected when the car slows down. So, it's only low level that is actually constant when selected.

The self levelling function should help with your plan to use the car for towing.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Hi

I have 21’s and 20’s for winter. The standard air plus 21” is commonly posted here as a must have combo, as it normally would give to the best ride comfort on the larger wheel.

I have not tried air in a GTS, but have on an S and it was a bit “floaty” for me and more so for my wife, who thinks sport plus is still not firm enough.

The car handles incredibly well for its size and weight. I too like the spirited twisty roads and therefore did not spec air, it’s a GTS and for me air is for comfort not handling, so if you want the best handling stick with steel.

Porsche suspension is on a different level to Audi so you should see a big improvement to the S4’s setup I would think too. There have been a few posters here who made the same move as you who could give more insight than me. I don’t regret not taking air.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I'm actually the reverse of kmacuk as far as experience with air is concerned. I've not tried a GTS on steel (the demo car was on air and I was impressed so specced it) but for five years owned a SD on steel (with PASM). Both cars featured 20" wheels.

In the SD, I had PASM set on sport except on very poor roads. In the GTS, i've found that with PASM in normal the ride on the air suspension is just a little firmer than that of the SD in sport. There is certainly no float.

In an ideal world, I'd recommend trying a GTS on both air and steel. In the real world, that will involve a lot of searching around as (unless things have changed recently) most OPC have either one or no GTS demonstrators.

I will say that when I saw the OPC GTS demonstrator standing alongside my SD the full 25mm difference in ride height gave the GTS a real "hunkered down" look. I don't know if the effect would be so noticeable with both cars on steel when the difference would be 15mm.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I tried Air with a Gen 2 Turbo and did not like the ride sensation. So on my GTS I did not specify it and have no regrets with 20" wheels.

The ride quality of the Macan is so much better than the S4. The handling and relative suppleness are excellent for a 2-ton SUV. The GTS is visually lower than the Macan S with PASM.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Here is the Porsche configurator description for air on a GTS. Believe me it is not at all floaty ⛵️😳 and you can set it to lowest ride height irrespective of speed.

“Fully load-bearing air-spring struts, a total of three ride-height positions and possibility to lower rear axle to Loading Level, variable damping system with continuous regulation of damping force to reduce body movements as the situation demands, PASM damper mapping with three manually selectable modes ("Comfort", "SPORT" and "SPORT PLUS"). Includes self-levelling function

For Macan GTS includes ride-height reduction of 10 mm and even sportier PASM setup”
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I also used to have a S4 (B8 model for 7 years - a brilliant car) and moved into a Macan S as the GTS was not available at the time. I did not opt for air, both summer & winter wheels are 20” and neither myself or the wife have ever thought of the car as anything but superbly comfortable. When doing a B road some justice it deals with it amazingly well (competent & refined more than exciting though). I’ve just ordered a GTS and I’m almost certainly going to go for the 20” wheels and no air. Good call opting for the PTV, I’m also going to add this even though I’ve not driven a Macan with PTV I feel a helping hand is occasionally required so hopefully it will be money well spent.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed