Driving to Swizerland

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
IMORTAL_Indian

Post by IMORTAL_Indian »

Looking at a trip to Switzerland to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary in December and planning to drive from London to Lucerne. What tyres would you suggest for a trip like that please? Currently only have the 1 set of 20" spiders with Latitude Sport 3.

Thanks

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Probably a good idea to check the individual laws for each country you're planning on travelling through as some, like Germany, now have a mandatory requirement for winter tyres in the winter months and will issue fines if you're caught without them. There may also be a requirement carry a set of snow chains in certain location so worth checking that as well. Personally if I were travelling anywhere in or around the alps in December I would want winters on anyway for my own peace of mind.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Guy

Post by Guy »

Miopyk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:30 pm Probably a good idea to check the individual laws for each country you're planning on travelling through as some, like Germany, now have a mandatory requirement for winter tyres in the winter months and will issue fines if you're caught without them. There may also be a requirement carry a set of snow chains in certain location so worth checking that as well. Personally if I were travelling anywhere in or around the alps in December I would want winters on anyway for my own peace of mind.

And if you do decide to go for snow chains, I have some for sale here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11056

Already set up for 20-inch wheels :D (Although I would always recommend a trial fit before you travel!)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I’ll shortly be putting up for sale my set of 20” SD wheels fitted with winter tyres. Just need to get the photos sorted………
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

IMORTAL_Indian wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:05 pm Looking at a trip to Switzerland to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary in December and planning to drive from London to Lucerne. What tyres would you suggest for a trip like that please? Currently only have the 1 set of 20" spiders with Latitude Sport 3.

Thanks
Honestly, I would not bother, by the time you buy a set of Winters plus bought some snow chains it would be cheaper to fly out there and rent locally if you need self drive transport.

It is a pain putting chains on and off any car plus the damn things can cause damage if incorrectly fitted or they work loose.

I have driven all over the Alps from ski resort to ski resort and even with chains it can be a tad butt squirming if the chains fail to grip.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Anybody tried Snow Socks on a Macan? If so on which axle?