Macan collapsable spare wheel.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My daughters Audi A2 has a 20 year old vredestein collapsible spare wheel. It’s probably past it’s best, but I would rather a 19 year old not be stranded in the middle of nowhere, at least a 20 year old spare will get her mobile for a short distance. (And yes, she can change it herself). I also use this logic on my 6 year old Macan spare wheel.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

She must be proficient. There’s not a chance that either of my daughters could change a wheel 😁
Macan S MY 2023
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Skyway wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm She must be proficient. There’s not a chance that either of my daughters could change a wheel 😁
She lives with two mechanical engineers, so can do more than most.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MooseMiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:51 am
PJV997 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:31 pm Personally I do not carry a spare wheel anymore in any of our cars.

I do not want to change a tyre roadside - too dangerous and you get filthy if you do do it.

I do not want the inconvenience of putting the removed and inevitably large, heavy and dirty road wheel & tyre inside the car.
+1

Also prefer to have the additional storage space.

The fact you can’t replace the collapsible tyre alone at the end of its life also adds considerably to the cost of the spare wheel. As I am planning to keep my incoming Macan for the long term, if I went the spare wheel route, I’d have to replace at some point.

I’ve been lucky not to have been stranded by a puncture in the 20+ years since our cars have had no spare. Even if I do get stranded in the future, it feels like a reasonable trade off to me.
Personally, I prefer to carry the spare. Maybe I'm old school but don't like the thought of being possibly stranded somewhere remote with no phone signal etc. I have had one or two punctures and breakdowns in the past (including in a Porsche) and it is no fun trying to change a wheel I agree, but also not fun trying to even talk to anyone on the phone on a noisy motorway so neither ideal (my phone battery also went flat!!)

Anyway, the point of my post is that if anyone speccing a new Macan does NOT want the spare option, to me it is a no brainer to still specify it at that price and then sell the wheel, jack, holder....?
I’m with you on carrying a spare, but please, please, please don’t ever change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway. It’s the second most dangerous place in the world, second only to a live lane on a smart (dumb) motorway. And getting hit will almost always be fatal. Use the nearest emergency phone to summon assistance. You didn’t say you did change the wheel on the motorway but inferred you might have.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:47 pm
MooseMiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:51 am
PJV997 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 am

+1

Also prefer to have the additional storage space.

The fact you can’t replace the collapsible tyre alone at the end of its life also adds considerably to the cost of the spare wheel. As I am planning to keep my incoming Macan for the long term, if I went the spare wheel route, I’d have to replace at some point.

I’ve been lucky not to have been stranded by a puncture in the 20+ years since our cars have had no spare. Even if I do get stranded in the future, it feels like a reasonable trade off to me.
Personally, I prefer to carry the spare. Maybe I'm old school but don't like the thought of being possibly stranded somewhere remote with no phone signal etc. I have had one or two punctures and breakdowns in the past (including in a Porsche) and it is no fun trying to change a wheel I agree, but also not fun trying to even talk to anyone on the phone on a noisy motorway so neither ideal (my phone battery also went flat!!)

Anyway, the point of my post is that if anyone speccing a new Macan does NOT want the spare option, to me it is a no brainer to still specify it at that price and then sell the wheel, jack, holder....?
I’m with you on carrying a spare, but please, please, please don’t ever change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway. It’s the second most dangerous place in the world, second only to a live lane on a smart (dumb) motorway. And getting hit will almost always be fatal. Use the nearest emergency phone to summon assistance. You didn’t say you did change the wheel on the motorway but inferred you might have.
Dead right Nick, I had a blow out on the A1 and changed the wheel on the hard shoulder and yes it was a rear offside blow out! It was frightening, the car rocked when HGV’ s passed.

I got on my way and made my appointment with my client.
When I informed my boss he told me never to do that again and just call the AA.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:47 pm ....I’m with you on carrying a spare, but please, please, please don’t ever change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway. It’s the second most dangerous place in the world, second only to a live lane on a smart (dumb) motorway. And getting hit will almost always be fatal. Use the nearest emergency phone to summon assistance. You didn’t say you did change the wheel on the motorway but inferred you might have....
No, my poor explanation :oops:

I have - over the years - changed a few spare wheels roadside but always managed to get the car into a lay-by, carpark or somewhere as safe as possible. The motorway incident was not a puncture but a flat battery (alternator fail) and I was stood behind the barrier 50m away and trying to call Porsche Assistance. Impossible to make the call as it was just too noisy with traffic noise (it was rush hour M4 to be fair). They couldn't hear me despite me shouting as loud as I could and I couldn't hear them so I may just as well have been trying to order a pizza. In the end, I risked sitting in the passenger seat, making the call then returning to my spot behind the barrier. I just about made the call and my battery died.
I'm with you; I would never even think of changing a wheel on a motorway, busy dual carriageway etc unless I could limp the car into somewhere safe first.
I did once have a puncture in a Mercedes on the same motorway but managed to get off at the next junction and found a lay-by and got myself sorted and off to work and called a mobile tyre tech once there
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MooseMiller wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:18 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:47 pm ....I’m with you on carrying a spare, but please, please, please don’t ever change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway. It’s the second most dangerous place in the world, second only to a live lane on a smart (dumb) motorway. And getting hit will almost always be fatal. Use the nearest emergency phone to summon assistance. You didn’t say you did change the wheel on the motorway but inferred you might have....
No, my poor explanation :oops:

I have - over the years - changed a few spare wheels roadside but always managed to get the car into a lay-by, carpark or somewhere as safe as possible. The motorway incident was not a puncture but a flat battery (alternator fail) and I was stood behind the barrier 50m away and trying to call Porsche Assistance. Impossible to make the call as it was just too noisy with traffic noise (it was rush hour M4 to be fair). They couldn't hear me despite me shouting as loud as I could and I couldn't hear them so I may just as well have been trying to order a pizza. In the end, I risked sitting in the passenger seat, making the call then returning to my spot behind the barrier. I just about made the call and my battery died.
I'm with you; I would never even think of changing a wheel on a motorway, busy dual carriageway etc unless I could limp the car into somewhere safe first.
I did once have a puncture in a Mercedes on the same motorway but managed to get off at the next junction and found a lay-by and got myself sorted and off to work and called a mobile tyre tech once there
👍👍
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:09 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:30 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:31 pm Personally I do not carry a spare wheel anymore in any of our cars.

I do not want to change a tyre roadside - too dangerous and you get filthy if you do do it.

I do not want the inconvenience of putting the removed and inevitably large, heavy and dirty road wheel & tyre inside the car.

I do carry a compressor and pumped repair liquid....but never have had needed to use it.

I do have Roadside Assistance. They carry a universal fitting spare and do the remove and fit for you. They then follow you to your chosen tyre dealer to get it changed. N.B. you then drive at max 50 mph for a max of 50 miles. Failing that, they will recover your car on a low-loader.

Usually a slow puncture can be managed by ensuring the tyre is topped up to the full load pressure and simply driving slowly to the tyre depot to get it repaired or replaced.
Yeah Steve, stick your gunk in this and wait.

You will only be going on the back of a low loader in goodness knows how many hours time.

Far better to have a spare And a can of sealant to give yourself options

IMG_0849.jpeg
I've seen the picture a few :lol: times on here but I can't see a note of how it happened. It's a Porsche wheel and a Porsche screwdriver and it would be hell of a coincidence if you managed to get that in your wheel whilst driving. I can only assume that you drove over it after leaving it on your drive. ;)
I just stuck the screwdriver in to emphasise the location.

It happened late afternoon in a no mobile signal area of the Lake District on a narrow single track road.

Part of a wall just after a sharp bend had come down with all the rocks being covered with foliage and covering half the road, I thought it just foliage as at the time I could not see any rocks.

I tried to steer round it but just nicked a rock, there was one loud bang and instant deflation.

Had to drive on for a mile until the road opened up enough for others to pass.

In all the time I was changing the wheel not one vehicle came along.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags