Macan collapsable spare wheel.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:08 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:15 pm Here are the industry recommendations....

Screenshot_20230731_171214_Chrome.jpg
Where did that second quote come from Steve? They can't spell 'tyre' correctly! The 10 year guidance is sensible though. It's illegal to use them on commercials over 3.5 tonnes and on buses, coaches and minibuses. But for a high performance car tyre I wouldn't be happy going over six years of age.
Tire Rack [USA] is the source, as I could not find a UK one on Google.

We're talking as per the subject header - Macan collapsable spare wheel. Commercials over 3.5 tonnes and on buses, coaches and minibuses - don't use collapsable ones to my knowledge.
Thanks Steve. Yes, I know, but few of us can resist a little ‘topic drift’ now and again! :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:31 pm Personally I do not carry a spare wheel anymore in any of our cars.

I do not want to change a tyre roadside - too dangerous and you get filthy if you do do it.

I do not want the inconvenience of putting the removed and inevitably large, heavy and dirty road wheel & tyre inside the car.
+1

Also prefer to have the additional storage space.

The fact you can’t replace the collapsible tyre alone at the end of its life also adds considerably to the cost of the spare wheel. As I am planning to keep my incoming Macan for the long term, if I went the spare wheel route, I’d have to replace at some point.

I’ve been lucky not to have been stranded by a puncture in the 20+ years since our cars have had no spare. Even if I do get stranded in the future, it feels like a reasonable trade off to me.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

PJV997 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:31 pm Personally I do not carry a spare wheel anymore in any of our cars.

I do not want to change a tyre roadside - too dangerous and you get filthy if you do do it.

I do not want the inconvenience of putting the removed and inevitably large, heavy and dirty road wheel & tyre inside the car.
+1

Also prefer to have the additional storage space.

The fact you can’t replace the collapsible tyre alone at the end of its life also adds considerably to the cost of the spare wheel. As I am planning to keep my incoming Macan for the long term, if I went the spare wheel route, I’d have to replace at some point.

I’ve been lucky not to have been stranded by a puncture in the 20+ years since our cars have had no spare. Even if I do get stranded in the future, it feels like a reasonable trade off to me.
Personally, I prefer to carry the spare. Maybe I'm old school but don't like the thought of being possibly stranded somewhere remote with no phone signal etc. I have had one or two punctures and breakdowns in the past (including in a Porsche) and it is no fun trying to change a wheel I agree, but also not fun trying to even talk to anyone on the phone on a noisy motorway so neither ideal (my phone battery also went flat!!)

Anyway, the point of my post is that if anyone speccing a new Macan does NOT want the spare option, to me it is a no brainer to still specify it at that price and then sell the wheel, jack, holder....?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I do carry a compressor and pumped repair liquid....but never have had needed to use it.

I do have Roadside Assistance. They carry a universal fitting spare and do the remove and fit for you. They then follow you to your chosen tyre dealer to get it changed. N.B. you then drive at max 50 mph for a max of 50 miles. Failing that, they will recover your car on a low-loader.

Usually a slow puncture can be managed by ensuring the tyre is topped up to the full load pressure and simply driving slowly to the tyre depot to get it repaired or replaced.
Yeah Steve, stick your gunk in this and wait.

You will only be going on the back of a low loader in goodness knows how many hours time.

Far better to have a spare And a can of sealant to give yourself options

IMG_0849.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:30 pm

I do carry a compressor and pumped repair liquid....but never have had needed to use it.

I do have Roadside Assistance. They carry a universal fitting spare and do the remove and fit for you. They then follow you to your chosen tyre dealer to get it changed. N.B. you then drive at max 50 mph for a max of 50 miles. Failing that, they will recover your car on a low-loader.

Usually a slow puncture can be managed by ensuring the tyre is topped up to the full load pressure and simply driving slowly to the tyre depot to get it repaired or replaced.

You will only be going on the back of a low loader in goodness knows how many hours time.

IMG_0849.jpeg
Well blow me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've managed to have no rapid tyre deflation in over 1.6 million miles of driving. The only time I've used "gunk" was for a tube type tyre puncture on my ride-on mower. :oops: and it's still holding air two years on. ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:30 pm

IMG_0849.jpeg
I've seen the picture a few :lol: times on here but I can't see a note of how it happened. It's a Porsche wheel and a Porsche screwdriver and it would be hell of a coincidence if you managed to get that in your wheel whilst driving. I can only assume that you drove over it after leaving it on your drive. ;)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I understand that Col inserted the screwdriver himself to demonstrate the extent of the damage. Here is another that wasn’t inserted but picked up on the road by me 😏. Agree that having to change a wheel is a pain and I also carry a sealant kit, but it’s no fun waiting several hours for assistance if you are caught out and the cost is minimal when specced with the car.

IMG_3034.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

MikeM wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:39 pm I understand that Col inserted the screwdriver himself to demonstrate the extent of the damage. Here is another that wasn’t inserted but picked up on the road by me 😏. Agree that having to change a wheel is a pain and I also carry a sealant kit, but it’s no fun waiting several hours for assistance if you are caught out and the cost is minimal when specced with the car.
IMG_3034.jpeg
That explains it, thanks.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m thinking of carrying one of these

lesasas Tyre Repair Kit - Car Puncture Repair Kit - The Ideal Puncture Repair Solution for Car Motorcycle Truck Vans - 20 Strings and Storage Case https://amzn.eu/d/14g5ztH
Macan S MY 2023
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Skyway wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 pm I’m thinking of carrying one of these

lesasas Tyre Repair Kit - Car Puncture Repair Kit - The Ideal Puncture Repair Solution for Car Motorcycle Truck Vans - 20 Strings and Storage Case https://amzn.eu/d/14g5ztH
Carry some oil and a filter with you and you could do a oil service too whilst it's jacked up in the air :D
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479