Winter tyres Sweden

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Nav 2017

Post by Nav 2017 »

Hello All
I have recently bought a new 2017 Macan S Diesel here in Stockholm.
The winter is about to set in and so I have to consider new winter tyres.
The ones suggested by the dealer seem to be very expensive and not practical -
18" Michelin X Ice with or without spikes - GBP 3000
19" Michelin X Ice with or without spikes - GBP 3500 or Dunlop GBP 3800

The dealer mentioned that for longer journeys, cross country , the spikes are essential but the trouble is, the Swedish Govt has banned winter spiked tyres in certain city centre areas due to concerns about the environment!

Is there a better alternative which does not fall foul of the Swedish Law but is also safe to drive longer distances?

Many thanks!

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

You have double posted the same question and I will answer the best I can in the Technical section post.

We are primarily based in the UK and here we can have problems with the dealers if non Porsche parts and recommended tyres are not fitted, I presume that is why the cost quoted by your dealer seem expensive.

I suggest you ask them more about the warranty issues you may have.

We do have another member who lives in Sweden and no doubt he will provide far better and more local advice than I can.

Enjoy the forum
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nav 2017

Post by Nav 2017 »

Hi Col,
Apologies for double posting and thanks for your advice.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Hi, You may not get many answers to this as our weather generally is fairly mild with not too much snow. I live in central Scotland and plan to run all season tyres all year.

Some of the members fit winter tyres so hopefully they may help.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I'm sure Luke will be along shortly to give you all the information you need!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Here in the UK I purchased a set of 4 Rs Spyder 20" alloy wheels and full winter michelin alpin tyres complete ready to fit any Macan for £2900 GBP if it's any help.
There's no fitting of spikes available on these tyres .jonmacan2016-11-01 22:30:48
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
lac

Post by lac »

I believe that studded tyres are illegal to use on UK roads due to the damage they cause to the Tarmac surface. It is law in some European countries to use winter tyres at certain times of the year but not in the UK.

Generally in the UK a couple of snowflakes is enough to grind our transport network to a halt so I would hate to see what would happen if we ever had to drive on hard packed ice!!!

So perhaps 3 sets of wheels. 21" Sport Classics with Summer rubber, a set of 20" Spyders with All Seasons for when it gets a wee bit nippy and a set of 19" with spikes for when the s**t really hits the fan

Price for Michelin Winter tyres 235 x 55 x 19 and 255 x 50 x 19 in the uk are about £190 each fitted but not a great deal of info about studded tyres. lac2016-11-01 23:18:43
Carrara White GTS
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Welcome Nav 2017.

I have just bought a set of 18" Macan S style wheels fitted with winter tyres for £1894.25, including 20% UK VAT. I need them for journeys in winter to the French Alps.

As others have pointed out, studded tyres are illegal on UK roads and in any event most winters here are feeble affairs compared with yours in Sweden. Nor have I seen any studded tyres advertised on the Porsche Tequipement pages, and you should check with Porsche Sweden about your warranty if you do decide to fit them.

Good luck.
DS delivered 30th September 2016. Final spec code PHFK81G7.