Alloygators

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
R850R

Post by R850R »

Re: "Taken the alloy wheel
protection at £149 with upto 18 claims in 3 years
"

Is that £149 per year or for 3 years?

The full story about those Alloygators on my 4WD Audi (see above) is that once removed, numerous 'kerbings' on the NSF wheel were revealed. The Audi dealership had clearly had them fitted prior to selling the ex-demo as the cheaper option c/f paying for a new wheel. I had a big row with them but all they'd agree to was a refurb. I raised issues about unseen cracks, wheel balance, trade description etc to no avail. Reluctantly I gave way and watched the "mobile guy" start the job but then had to leave. It took him about 3 hours to complete the work.
Have to say I was impressed with his thoroughness and the wheel was restored perfectly.
His charge to the dealership was £80 (OK, trade price and no VAT that we'd have to pay).
Since then I've spoken to a couple of others who have used similar mobile 'refurbers' and neither paid more than £100/wheel for an excellent job (so they said).
So......if it's £149 for 3 years insurance & 18 claims that's not bad value; but if it's per year then unless you are particularly & regularly careless, it would surely be more cost-effective to pay for a mobile refurbishing service.

That said, further kerb marks on the Audi were inflicted by SWMBO though she always denied responsibility.
So far, she doesn't like taking the Macan into town - long may it stay that way.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.

Paul

Post by Paul »

As above, my wife (honest!) scuffed an alloy on her previous 3 series and was only charged £75 retail at our local BMW dealership (done by a mobile sub-contractor)
Very well done and re-laquered properly (tyre removed, which doesn't always happen)

As many others on here, I prefer to self insure anything I can reasonably afford......

PS Refurbing the alloy is one thing but who also gets the wheel alignment checked afterwards......kerb damage, especially on the front wheels, often results in uneven tyre wear later on due to the tracking being out...it depends how hard you thump the kerb of course but you'd be amazed how little force it takes.Paul2016-11-19 05:46:04
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Yes £149 for 3 years upto 18 claims.
Covers upto 20"

I scuffed my audi alloy and cost £60 at Audi to repair.
It's not expensive to repair.
Unless they are diamond cut. They are not covered and it isn't £60 either

GTS 😀
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Putting those shockers on are like keeping the plastic bags on the seat. Just park properly and for peace of mind take out sime rim insurance should the worse happen

SB
+1
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.