Alloygators

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
thriller76

Post by thriller76 »

Getting my GTS at the beginning of dec. Has anyone got experience of fitting Alloy gators - are they any good and do they spoil the look of the wheels. Thinking they might be good protection...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHT7E724

R850R

Post by R850R »

IMHO be wary of them !
They were fitted on all 4 wheels to my 4WD Audi (it was an ex-demo) and within weeks they began to come away from between the rims and tyres on both front wheels. I quickly removed them and then did some on-line searching. Apparently on the front wheels especially, the tyre flexing with 4WD can cause them to dislodge and if not removed, the link which secures the two ends of each Alloygator can break and if that happens at high speed, the thing will flail around and do severe damage to the bodywork.
The pair on the rear wheels didn't exhibit the creep so they were left on until the next tyre change.

Put "Alloygator reviews" into Google and ignore the short-term tests.
Here's what one reported:-
"The Problem:

+ You could damage your tyres/wheels when fitting them

+ They could damage your body work if they come out at high speed

+ Is your car insured with them fitted?

+ They can make your tyres go flat and damage the seal between tyre and wheel."

BTW - they are hell to remove, requiring full deflation of the tyre and unless you have a big compressor you'll not get the tyre back up to pressure and sealed against the rim.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Doug11

Post by Doug11 »

Should have got 19" s, no chance of ever curbing them. Plus you get a better ride.
thriller76

Post by thriller76 »

The GTS comes as standard with the 20" Spyder wheels. I don't think you can say that you would never kerb a 19" wheel.

Sportback

Post by Sportback »

Putting those shockers on are like keeping the plastic bags on the seat. Just park properly and for peace of mind take out sime rim insurance should the worse happen

SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I had my first Q5 for 4 years and wife driving it too and never kerbed an alloy in that time on 18".
Got a new Q5 with 20" and alloys kerbed within 2 months. All 4 are done now in just over 2 years.Cry

Some additional parking lessons (and the surround camera should help) in order to keep my new GTS alloys in one piece. Taken the alloy wheel protection at £149 with upto 18 claims in 3 years Tongue
GTS 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The GTS comes as standard with the 20" Spyder wheels. I don't think you can say that you would never kerb a 19" wheel.

20" Spyder wheels not too bad for kerbing.
steve w

Post by steve w »

A friend of ours had them fitted to his X5 ,dirt got between them and the rim surfaces when he had one removed to change a tyre the rim was scoured and market by the dirt/minute grit particles that had rubbed between the rim protector and the rim face.
I wouldn't have them fitted and after scuffing a rim on our last Macan with 21in Black Classics I'm extra careful now.
SteveW
thriller76

Post by thriller76 »

Where did you get the alloy wheel protection for £149? Sounds like that and being careful is a better option - glad i asked!
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

At OPC but you can use ala.co.uk and lots of others. The one via OPC is through a third party insurance.

Ask you OPC if they do alloy insurance cover.
GTS 😀