21 Turbo wheels - Center cap corrosion

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Monty2

Post by Monty2 »

21" Turbo wheels - Wheel center white film or spidery corrosion warning
The wheels look great but be observant of the following-
This info might be old hat to previous Porsche cars and Macan owners but something to look out for on your new pride and joy with these wheels.
There is history of the polished wheel centers as used on 21" Turbo wheels suffering early corrosion around the outer edges either seen as creeping milky film or white spidery veins. All is not lost as it sets in very early and thats why we have Porsche Warranty for the new replacements just remember to inform your OPC as soon as you see the corrosion developing between the outer and inner discs. The OPC may try to blame acidic wheel cleaners but in most cases as Porsche lovers we wouldn't put anything on our wheels or paintwork that has any reference to acid based solvents etc.
Case study - it took just 3 weeks on my new Cayenne 21" Turbo wheels last summer and now those are as bad 6 months on and ready for reporting again.

There is a cure -
I had the same issue on my 997 Turbo in 2008 (same highly polished wheel centers) the second replacement set fitted by the OPC I removed straight away and applied a film of clear lacquer around the outer edge in effect sealing the inner and outer parts of the wheel center. they were perfect when I sold it 18 months later and that was after driving through some much road salted routes.

Feedback would be good if you are experiencing the same corrosion on your 21" Polished Turbo wheels, I remember a thread where Bigboyrolo experienced an issue I believe.

Paul
Macan GTS Close to Estoril Blue

Left the family white Macan SD, Cayenne S D V8 Meteor

d8ean

Post by d8ean »

after washing my new toy yesterday I've noticed this too.... i did wonder if i could claim for new ones

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Yes, you should be able to get new ones but they will corrode again unless you insulate them from the wheel itself, as above.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Disappointing that if this is a known issue, Porsche have not done something about it.

Sounds as if, in one form or another, this problem has been around for 8 years or more. Surely Porsche monitor such issues?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

It happened to my Boxster in 2002
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Blimey! 14-15 years ago!

I'll be pretty cheesed off if the new design of 21" 911 Turbo wheels on my new Panamera have the same fault.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Yes, you should be able to get new ones but they will corrode again unless you insulate them from the wheel itself, as above.

Not so with mine as this picture shows, this after 8 months, all 4 similar. When I get my new ones, mid March, I'll pop them off and give them a good coat of clear lacquer.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

21" Turbo wheels -  Wheel center white film or spidery corrosion warning
Feedback would be good if you are experiencing the same corrosion on your 21" Polished Turbo wheels, I remember a thread where Bigboyrolo experienced an issue I believe. 

Paul

I did indeed on all 4, picture of one already posted today. It was the same with Jaguar centre caps though, clearly manfacturing method needs to be reviewed.
I would think centre caps are all the same irrespective of wheel size. Perhaps the plain grey ones do better?
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Morning all.
I've had the exact same issue on mine. Car went in for inspection today and all 4 will be replaced under warranty. Had a complimentary health check too, all is well. But so it should be after 4k miles.
I'll be having a chat with the detailer as per what is best to coat them in but out of interest what lacquer did you use?
Update: Spoke to detailer who didn't seem at all surprised that it had happened to these wheels. Apparently a history of it from long before they were a Macan option. Anyway he's going to crystal serum them before they go on the car. But has caveated it with an expectation they it'll happen again regardless Cry
OPC really good about it actually. No quibble over replacements. They'll send the new caps to the detailer direct and bring my car back this afternoon with no wheel caps - but he did say he'd try to find something suitable to fill the hole with in the mean time. So although there is an issue it's being dealt with promptly, which is fair enough.

Ziggy2017-03-15 13:09:01
porsche-code.com/PHM1NUL9
Monty2

Post by Monty2 »

Morning all.
I've had the exact same issue on mine. Car went in for inspection today and all 4 will be replaced under warranty. Had a complimentary health check too, all is well. But so it should be after 4k miles.
I'll be having a chat with the detailer as per what is best to coat them in but out of interest what lacquer did you use?
Update: Spoke to detailer who didn't seem at all surprised that it had happened to these wheels. Apparently a history of it from long before they were a Macan option. Anyway he's going to crystal serum them before they go on the car. But has caveated it with an expectation they it'll happen again regardless Cry
OPC really good about it actually. No quibble over replacements. They'll send the new caps to the detailer direct and bring my car back this afternoon with no wheel caps - but he did say he'd try to find something suitable to fill the hole with in the mean time. So although there is an issue it's being dealt with promptly, which is fair enough.

Sounds like you may be using the same OPC as myself, this time around they did not have a set in stock so posted them to me so that I could apply my preventative measures which this time round I've used a syringe to inject a small bead of clear silicone adhesive between the rear plastic disc and the front metal/plastic coated polished disc with the Porsche shield on, I made sure there was an overlap around the edge but not visible from the front. I then multi layed hard wax onto the front of the cap ensuring the edge around the porsche shied was rammed with the wax. I'd volunteer photos but don't really want to pull a wheel centre cap of the wheel now they are safely in place and aligned with the tyre valve. its only been two weeks but no signs of corrosion yet (as it should be) I do think the salt solution thrown up over the winter months is the culprit.

Paul
Macan GTS Close to Estoril Blue

Left the family white Macan SD, Cayenne S D V8 Meteor