Spare Wheel: More than 1 Part Number?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
banbury

Post by banbury »

Apologies as I know this topic has been covered but I cannot find the correct part numbers to order...
I forgot to order the Spare Wheel. Well actually the build was "locked down" so I could not add to the existing spec.
-The SE at OPC Swindon was great in initially ordering the car but not at all interested in any follow-up. And no longer bothers to answer phone calls or emails (sigh...).

I called Porsche UK who told me that their Reading Centre would be able to advise. The chaps at Reading were very helpful but said the wheel was factory fit only. To fit a spare wheel; requires the wheel, plus inserts into the wheel well etc. Then they explained that there is some component welded into the wheel well that means you cannot retro-fit.

Any ideas, from those who have "upgraded" to the Spare Wheel on what bits-and-bobs you need to order?

Thanks!

EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Judging by whasts in ours theres an air compressor in the side wall, theres the wheel itself, and then the tools and jack. But potentially the floor is lower to fit all this. I'm sure i saw a quote for over £500 for all the work to install a spare wheel on a Macan after market. Whereas its only £155 odd at time of purchase. Which is why 60% of the people on here spec it when we get the cars built. Tho dont feel bad, 40% dont!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
Paul

Post by Paul »

After-market is possible, but yes, £550 rings a bell. Wheel, tyre, polystyrene carriers, tool kit, compressor, jack........the modification to the floor is for the threaded locking bit which you probably can get by without as the polystyrene bits should hold it all in place....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
banbury

Post by banbury »

Thanks Gents. Any idea on part numbers?
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Apologies as I know this topic has been covered but I cannot find the correct part numbers to order...

I forgot to order the Spare Wheel. Well actually the build was "locked down" so I could not add to the existing spec.
-The SE at OPC Swindon was great in initially ordering the car but not at all interested in any follow-up. And no longer bothers to answer phone calls or emails (sigh...).

I called Porsche UK who told me that their Reading Centre would be able to advise. The chaps at Reading were very helpful but said the wheel was factory fit only. To fit a spare wheel; requires the wheel, plus inserts into the wheel well etc. Then they explained that there is some component welded into the wheel well that means you cannot retro-fit.

Any ideas, from those who have "upgraded" to the Spare Wheel on what bits-and-bobs you need to order?

Thanks! 

I added the full kit at about £510 last August. I'll dig out the invoice and post a copy with numbers on. OPC insisted they had to fit it, so perhaps 'installation' required? Was about to go on a 3000 miles Euroland drive, so wanted the reassurance of having it. You shouldn't need to know the detail, leave it to the parts dept. Bigboyrolo2017-01-12 22:50:41
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

The chaps at Reading were very helpful but said the wheel was factory fit only. To fit a spare wheel; requires the wheel, plus inserts into the wheel well etc. Then they explained that there is some component welded into the wheel well that means you cannot retro-fit.
Any ideas, from those who have "upgraded" to the Spare Wheel on what bits-and-bobs you need to order. Thanks!

I added the full kit at about £510 last August. I'll dig out the invoice and post a copy with numbers on. OPC insisted they had to fit it, so perhaps 'installation' required? Was about to go on a 3000 miles Euroland drive, so wanted the reassurance of having it. You shouldn't need to know the detail, leave it to the parts dept.
It cost me £512, some discount since I was quoted £580. They insisted on fitting it, so a 240 mile round trip! I ordered for peace of mind during my Euroland adventures, seemed best to have my own even though Porsche rescue is available.
I'm about to remove it for refitting in my new car, so if there are any 'installation' issues, I'll find out.
My invoice ....................

banbury

Post by banbury »

@BigBoy. Great stuff. I will get these ordered from OPC.👍
LVision

Post by LVision »

Useful parts list thank you. Omitted a Spare Wheel from my original spec and probably the only thing I have regretted since. Of late one of the Type Pressure Monitors seems to have been playing up (cold weather ??) soon after moving off but a minute or some later reports ok - makes me wish I'd opted for that Spare just in case.

Looking at the parts list shouldn't there also be a compressor of sorts ? My understanding is that the tyre comes deflated and has to be inflated before it can be fitted.
davewf

Post by davewf »

I think you have the compressor even without the spare wheel so you can inflate the punctured the after squirting the sealant in. Or is the sealant can capable of inflating the tyre?

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I think you have the compressor even without the spare wheel so you can inflate the punctured the after squirting the sealant in. Or is the sealant can capable of inflating the tyre?

You are right davewf - 'alles klaar' as they would say in Lepzig.
Some photos below - one of all the kit on my invoice, but crucially omitting the electric pump to inflate the tyre because you already have one with the bottle of gunk.
For anyone buying the kit, it should take you just a few minutes to fit. The large plastic screw locates in a hole through the boot floor covering by a 90 degree bayonet twist, place the wheel centrally over it and secure it with the large plastic nut. The jack and tool kit are just placed either side of the wheel. The Electric pump and gunk are already there behind the left rear removable boot panel.
One thing I am sure of is that I if I have a puncture, would call Porsche assistance out and the cost of this kit is profiteering cost when bought after car build.

Bigboyrolo2017-01-15 14:47:28