Upsizing to 20 or 21 wheels.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Paul

Post by Paul »

There is a thread on these somewhere as I asked the question some time ago. Consensus was they were not really necessary as they only add less than about 1cm and unlikely anyone would notice they were not fitted even if you did fit the bigger wheels. As for mudflaps I took a couple of pictures with and without the flaps and the front ones really seem to work. Will add them to the mudflaps thread.

apologies for getting my bigboys and baldyblokes mixed up

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/full-detail-mud-flap-pics_topic4240_page5.html?KW=MudflapsPaul2017-01-19 21:17:31
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Anybody retrofitted these rear spray guards?
I wonder if they use existing wheel arch screws so could be fitted to cars with 19inch wheels.
Could someone with 20s possibly take a look-see at how they are attached?
If they can be retrofitted then I would certainly give them a try. They may help me see out of my rear window a little better in this weather!!!?

Excuse me, did you read my post of two hours ago?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Anybody retrofitted these rear spray guards?
I wonder if they use existing wheel arch screws so could be fitted to cars with 19inch wheels.
Could someone with 20s possibly take a look-see at how they are attached?
If they can be retrofitted then I would certainly give them a try. They may help me see out of my rear window a little better in this weather!!!?

Excuse me, did you read my post of two hours ago?

Thanks - I did Nick but was not clear if you actually fitted them or they came from the factory fitted? So you did fit them and they are a simple retrofit??
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

This is what I said:

'My Turbo came with them already fitted as I specified 20" wheels. I just had a quick look and it appears that they are secured utilising three screws that attach the inner wheel arch to the body. Assuming, that is, that the three screws I can see are standard on cars with the smaller wheels.'

So no, I didn't fit them, the factory fit them if the 20 or 21 inch wheels are specified. But I don't think that they serve any useful purpose regarding keeping the car a little cleaner. They are very small and, because they are only fitted with the two larger sizes of wheels, I think it more likely that the purpose is to comply with vehicle regulations with respect to exposed tread. Hope this helps.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
macview19

Post by macview19 »

Re the post on Mud flaps I purchased through Fleabay front and rears because after very low mileage noticed stone chips on nearside door panel
and I know mudflaps do not look good on the Macan SD I had at that time but felt it was a practical way to protect the paintwork BUT be warned
the mudflaps from China did not fit and bought another set through Direct4x4 in the UK.They fitted perfectly and must say they kept the car sides
much cleaner even the rear of the car did seem to be cleaner but not by much. When I part exchanged the SD for the GTS I have on order the mudflaps were removed and will fit them on the new Macan. The Porsche Center will not fit them as the are not OE but found them easy to fit
myself but made certain where the mudflaps cover part of the paintwork that this area is properly protected to avoid warranty problems. I know
these items fitted to vehicle like the Macan are not the most attractive but the appalling state of the UK roads it is a small way to prevent damage to
the bodywork