Tyre options

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Battlecherry

Post by Battlecherry »

I chose summer tyres on my diesel Macan on the basi I wanted better performance at speed in the dry

Now that it has turned colder ,y thoughts are turning to winter tyres which I have had on previous vehicles.

I don't particularly want to buy another set, not necessarily because of cost but because our local OPC does not store them when not in use.

How have people found the all season tyres in comparison? I am assuming I would have to replace all four at once rather than each axle?

Your comments would be appreciated.Battlecherry2017-01-21 11:54:41

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Yes, definitely replace all four tyres, rather than just two!
Is there another OPC not too far away that you could try, who may offer a storage service?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Retired

Post by Retired »

Never, ever have winter tyres on one axle and summer on the other.

The different grip levels would deliver a very ill handling / dangerous car. E.g, winter on front and summer on rears. Brake hard in wintry conditions and wait for the rear of the car to overtake the front; cornering same scenario as braking, front grips, rear doesn't, you spin.
Battlecherry

Post by Battlecherry »

I presumed that was the case re changing all four.

Was particularly interested in people's experience of winter v all season tyres.
johnd

Post by johnd »

I suspect that most opinions will be highly subjective on the basis that very few will have been in the position of being able to do an honest rigorous comparison.

I specified all-seasons on my SD and have found them fine thus far. I was prepared to forgo a small/theoretical margin of ultimate summer grip for extra reassurance in cold/wet but non-snowy/icy conditions that are typical winter conditions in my part of East Anglia. I also didn't want the extra cost/hassle of a second set of wheels. I'm more than content with my choice, but can't honestly adduce any hard scientific evidence to back it up - I guess you'd need to find some side-by-side reviews of summer vs all-seasons (but not winter) in eg 3-5°C conditions, but I personally have never happened across any such reviews.

johnd2017-01-21 12:36:53
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I ran an X Type Jag on its Summer tyres for 11 years without any problems, in fact on ice and snow the Mercs and Beamers were stuck yet I kept going.

Same with an Audi Q3,with its Summer tyres, two years and no problems at all

Same with my Summer tyred Turbo, the recent ice did not bother at all the ride or grip, no slips or slides.

You just drive to the conditions, smooth and gentle.

If you live in an area of the UK with far more wortst weather then you will be better off with a set of Summers and a set of Winters, a decent OPC will change and store them for you, if yours does not buy them from a different OPC. An 18" set of wheels and Winter tyres is about £1700
Col Lamb2017-01-21 13:24:42
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I suspect that most opinions will be highly subjective on the basis that very few will have been in the position of being able to do an honest rigorous comparison.

I specified all-seasons on my SD and have found them fine thus far. I was prepared to forgo a small/theoretical margin of ultimate summer grip for extra reassurance in cold/wet but non-snowy/icy conditions that are typical winter conditions in my part of East Anglia. I also didn't want the extra cost/hassle of a second set of wheels. I'm more than content with my choice, but can't honestly adduce any hard scientific evidence to back it up - I guess you'd need to find some side-by-side reviews of summer vs all-seasons (but not winter) in eg 3-5°C conditions, but I personally have never happened across any such reviews.

I concur with John D. I have all season tyres on mine too, but similarly, hard to draw any meaningful conclusions. They have been good for grip in this cold spell and I am never likely to get anywhere near the limits of traction / grip in the warmer weather as I am typically either stuck in traffic in London or out of London with the family in the car.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I ran an X Type Jag on its Summer tyres for 11 years without any problems, in fact on ice and snow the Mercs and Beamers were stuck yet I kept going.

Same with an Audi Q3,with its Summer tyres, two years and no problems at all

Same with my Summer tyred Turbo, the recent ice did not bother at all the ride or grip, no slips or slides.

You just drive to the conditions, smooth and gentle.

If you live in an area of the UK with far more wortst weather then you will be better off with a set of Summers and a set of Winters, a decent OPC will change and store them for you, if yours does not buy them from a different OPC. An 18" set of wheels and Winter tyres is about £1700

Thumbs Up Unless you have to negotiate ungritted roads or heavy snow, you are
unlikely to need anything other than summer tyres. I do use winter tyres
which, on the rare occasion that we get some snow, will get me out of
our hilltop village, but once onto the main roads the surfaces are
usually wet rather than icy and all the winters do are increase road
noise and fuel consumption. Fortunately, I don't have to pay for them, but if I did, I wouldn't bother. Wink

The other thing to remember about
winter tyres is that on snow, most of the grip comes from the sipes in
the tread blocks. These begin to disappear when the tread is about half
worn, so the tyre becomes less effective as it wears down.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
Guy

Post by Guy »

As an alternative, buy something like this (winter tyres fitted!) to use when it snows: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701181416615?make=volkswagen%26model=golf%26utm_source=Email_a_Friend%26utm_medium=Email%26utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

... and even when you factor in running costs for a couple of years you will save money!! (And have something that you feel happy to leave in Tescos car park, airports etc!)
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

That is very true Thumbs Up
GTS \o/ - sold :(