Tyre options

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I have 20" all seasons on my current Macan and also had them on my last one. Ride comfort and grip is very good in summer and winter alike. Tread depth at 13,500 miles is still very good.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

VanB

Post by VanB »

All season tyres are a compromise neither giving the ultimate grip in the summer nor the assuredness in the winter that winter tyres do. However, they will perform far better in the winter than summer tyres and you will never drive the car hard enough on a public road in the summer to notice the compromise in ultimate performance. Consequently, if you do experience snow and ice conditions during the winter months they are a no-brainer as a no cost option.

Never seen a direct comparison between all seasons and either winter or summer tyres on a Macan.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I ran an X Type Jag on its Summer tyres for 11 years without any problems, in fact on ice and snow the Mercs and Beamers were stuck yet I kept going.

Same with an Audi Q3,with its Summer tyres, two years and no problems at all

Same with my Summer tyred Turbo, the recent ice did not bother at all the ride or grip, no slips or slides.

You just drive to the conditions, smooth and gentle.

If you live in an area of the UK with far more wortst weather then you will be better off with a set of Summers and a set of Winters, a decent OPC will change and store them for you, if yours does not buy them from a different OPC. An 18" set of wheels and Winter tyres is about £1700

Thumbs Up Unless you have to negotiate ungritted roads or heavy snow, you are
unlikely to need anything other than summer tyres. I do use winter tyres
which, on the rare occasion that we get some snow, will get me out of
our hilltop village, but once onto the main roads the surfaces are
usually wet rather than icy and all the winters do are increase road
noise and fuel consumption. Fortunately, I don't have to pay for them, but if I did, I wouldn't bother. Wink

The other thing to remember about
winter tyres is that on snow, most of the grip comes from the sipes in
the tread blocks. These begin to disappear when the tread is about half
worn, so the tyre becomes less effective as it wears down.

A number of inaccuracies here.

'the surfaces are usually wet rather than icy and all the winters do are increase road noise and fuel consumption' - Below 7 deg C numerous independent tests have shown that winter tyres outperform summers in all conditions, including wet braking. My winters are actually a little quieter than the summers.

'on snow, most of the grip comes from the sipes in the tread blocks.' The sipes assist the wet grip mainly. Traction in snow is provided by the tread blocks which retain snow in the grooves and it's the combination of the tread blocks flexing and the trapped snow actually binding with fresh snow under the wheels that produces the enhanced grip. This process reduces when the tread depth gets down to about 4mm which is the recommended replacement time.

The main reason I use winter tyres is that I know my braking distance below 7C will be metres shorter in all conditions compared to summers.

Interesting vid by Porsche here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmBfiQItgc

And from AutoExpress here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-201617-results-by-category

Nuclear Nick2017-01-21 17:21:39
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

We drive to the alps at least once a year in the ski season and with
winter tyres you really dont need snow chains. Ive seen people trying to
fit chains at the side of the road in a blizzard and it doesnt look
like much fun.
Where I live there are a couple of sharp steep bends to negotiate and when it snows anyone without a 4x4 or winters cannot get in or out of my road. The winter tyres take a 4x4 (or any car for that matter) to another level in snow but they also work better than summers in lower temps and on ice.
I fit winter tyres to all my vehicles normaly from begining of november to end march (except the 911 and the bike which I leave at home when there is snow and ice) and as I hang on to my toys for at least 3 years it costs no more than a regular tyre change.

Personally I also think all seasons are too compromised. In the summer I want a
tyre that compliments the car.

Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
banbury

Post by banbury »

Have all-seasons on the GTS. In wet and on the freezing cold mornings recently they have been very good - in terms of grip, tyre noise etc. Not at all scientific though...
I have had winters on the(ahem) Subaru WRX and the cars handling in snow was immense compared to summer tyres. Although I typically drove slower than those around me in their rear drive BMWs on low profile summers😉
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I ran an X Type Jag on its Summer tyres for 11 years without any problems, in fact on ice and snow the Mercs and Beamers were stuck yet I kept going.

Same with an Audi Q3,with its Summer tyres, two years and no problems at all

Same with my Summer tyred Turbo, the recent ice did not bother at all the ride or grip, no slips or slides.

You just drive to the conditions, smooth and gentle.

If you live in an area of the UK with far more wortst weather then you will be better off with a set of Summers and a set of Winters, a decent OPC will change and store them for you, if yours does not buy them from a different OPC. An 18" set of wheels and Winter tyres is about £1700

Thumbs Up  Unless you have to negotiate ungritted roads or heavy snow, you are
unlikely to need anything other than summer tyres.  I do use winter tyres
which, on the rare occasion that we get some snow, will get me out of
our hilltop village, but once onto the main roads the surfaces are
usually wet rather than icy and all the winters do are increase road
noise and fuel consumption. Fortunately, I don't have to pay for them, but if I did, I wouldn't bother. Wink

The other thing to remember about
winter tyres is that on snow, most of the grip comes from the sipes in
the tread blocks. These begin to disappear when the tread is about half
worn, so the tyre becomes less effective as it wears down.

A number of inaccuracies here.

'the surfaces are usually wet rather than icy and all the winters do are increase road noise and fuel consumption' - Below 7 deg C numerous independent tests have shown that winter tyres outperform summers in all conditions, including wet braking. My winters are actually a little quieter than the summers.

'on snow, most of the grip comes from the sipes in the tread blocks.' The sipes assist the wet grip mainly. Traction in snow is provided by the tread blocks which retain snow in the grooves and it's the combination of the tread blocks flexing and the trapped snow actually binding with fresh snow under the wheels that produces the enhanced grip. This process reduces when the tread depth gets down to about 4mm which is the recommended replacement time.

The main reason I use winter tyres is that I know my braking distance below 7C will be metres shorter in all conditions compared to summers.

Interesting vid by Porsche here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmBfiQItgc

And from AutoExpress here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-201617-results-by-category

Great post Nick..

Summers for summer
Winters for winter

Works for Me
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I have all season on my Macan, but have only had it for a month and really haven't had any bad weather to speak of to really try them out. They seem very good in the wet and the dry and a very quiet. Mind you, I've not had summer tyres on it to do a direct comparison. I've BF Goodrich AT's on my Shogun and if it gets really bad would probably use that instead.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Like Jonmacan I have Summer for Summer (and Spring/Autumn) and Winter for Winter. Added bonus is I get to look at the 21 inch 911 Turbo wheels hanging on the garage wall every day, to remind me of what is to come end March time!
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am an advocate of good driving but in bad winter conditions it is not me who is going to crash it is some moron in their car driving faster than they should and them causing the accident.

Hence if in doubt max out for performance.

Summers for Summer

Winters for Winter

All Seasons........ a questionable compromise

Summer is when the roads are busiest, its when people are in more of a hurry, the main roads are more jammed up with people traveling who are not used to driving fast. In these conditions you should have a tyre that will give you the best braking performance and that is Summer tyres.

Life is not about a compromise.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Sounds like a great advert for winter tyres, Col!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018