Tyre options

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I have a quick question - I ordered all season 20" spyders, and rather stupidly I can't work out if the Pirelli P Zeros I have on the car are actually all season or not? Is there any way of telling with the P-zeros? If I have summers instead of what I specifically asked for, what would be the possibility of having them changed gratis?

I had the P Zeros on the 4wd Jag X Type I had for 11 years.

They are Summers and not once did I have any difficulty with them on ice or on snow, the Mercs and Beamers were stuck in the snow many times but the Jag always kept going.

I wouldn't even try to drive my old Beamer in the snow, not a prayer. Got it stuck getting off my drive once, gave up and walked to Tesco.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6

Retired

Post by Retired »

.................. but the Jag always kept going.

How well did it stop?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Thanks- yes I'm aware it's a no cost option. I was asking to see if anyone had experience of swopping their tyres and if the cost was different for either option. Yes I could trawl the tyre websites for comparison but thanks anyway.

Hope I didn't appear unhelpful here, certainly didn't mean to. But tyre prices vary day to day, sometimes by quite a lot. The two I mentioned are among the cheapest and usually give good service. Micheldever are also good for Michelins.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

.................. but the Jag always kept going.

How well did it stop?

This is exactly the problem with four wheel drives, they have the extra traction to get moving but are them even worse at stopping than an ordinary two wheel drive car. Two tones+ on lovely wide summer tires just wants to become a toboggan, and keep on sliding until something like a ditch another car stops it.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

Thanks- yes I'm aware it's a no cost option. I was asking to see if anyone had experience of swopping their tyres and if the cost was different for either option. Yes I could trawl the tyre websites for comparison but thanks anyway.

Hope I didn't appear unhelpful here, certainly didn't mean to. But tyre prices vary day to day, sometimes by quite a lot. The two I mentioned are among the cheapest and usually give good service. Micheldever are also good for Michelins.

Thanks no worries, in my head all weather would more practical but like the look of summer tyres on the rims
White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5
John_M

Post by John_M »

According to approved tyres here: http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/
The only summer tyres in 20" are Michelin Latitude Sport 3 and Pirelli P-Zero (so it sounds like you have summer tyres). All-season tyres in 20" are Michelin Latitude Tour HP and Pirelli Scorpion Tour HP.

I posted this link yesterday Charles and also quoted its content on all seasons this morning. But we must be reading from different documents somehow - mine says the all season Pirellis in 20" are the Scorpion Verde AS.

It is strange - go to the pirelli site and it tells you no suitable All Weather Tyre - find them on blackcircles.com and it says Porsche No (You may need to enter size) Confused
John_M

Post by John_M »

.................. but the Jag always kept going.

How well did it stop?

This is exactly the problem with four wheel drives, they have the extra traction to get moving but are them even worse at stopping than an ordinary two wheel drive car. Two tones+ on lovely wide summer tires just wants to become a toboggan, and keep on sliding until something like a ditch another car stops it.

As I found out first lot of snow with my current car - I have a theory that BMW went out of their way to find the worst performing summer tyres on snow so they could sell winter ones