Post by Ray G »

+1
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Retired

Post by Retired »

Life is not about a compromise.

That's right.

If you're driving on snow using summer tyres you're using the wrong tyres.

Often comments about not having problems getting stuck in snow when using summer tyres. Importantly cold weather tyres do a lot more than enabling you to get going, they also, more importantly, let you steer and stop.

If you can't get going you won't have an accident............
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Life is not about a compromise.

That's right.

If you're driving on snow using summer tyres you're using the wrong tyres.

Often comments about not having problems getting stuck in snow when using summer tyres. Importantly cold weather tyres do a lot more than enabling you to get going, they also, more importantly, let you steer and stop.

If you can't get going you won't have an accident............

True

Summers for Summer

Winters for Winter

Look at any car in the Supermarket car park, you will probably only see a couple with anything other than Summer tyres and I am pretty sure yu will see zero with All Season (except perhaps your own)

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

Summers for Summer

Winters for Winter

Try telling that to the weather - I didn't bother switching to the winters last year as it never really dropped cold enough around here to make a huge difference (I am sure that would be different if I was much further North). A few years ago the car I was driving had all season tyres on - I only had trouble a couple of times when temperature was below -10 C and neither serious. During the summer any bend that may have needed a little extra grip would mean you can't see around them far enough to do that sort of speed

Most people could increase their safety by a huge margin with better thinking ahead and allowing a little more braking distance than 20% decrease in braking distance, but that seems out of the character for drivers now - perhaps because cars are so good now compared to years ago.

The extra 20% braking performance winters may give is very unlikely to help you out when someone else messes up - either it will happen so fast you'll not have chance to react/they will still hit you at speed even if you are stopped or you'll have left enough space it is a non-issue.

Winter/Summer or All weather - It does come down to personal circumstances and choices, I think the car will out perform anything I will ask of it in the weather it is likely to see on all weather tyres and so I will use them.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

+1 Horses for courses.

It certainly is a subject that seems to generate more opinions than most topics (*sic).

Having lived in Germany I support the use of winter tyres in the snow season. Trouble is, living on the South Coast there has been little or no need for swapping from summer tyres. Winters are just not what they used to be. Unhappy
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

All season tyres are a compromise neither giving the ultimate grip in the summer nor the assuredness in the winter that winter tyres do. However, they will perform far better in the winter than summer tyres and you will never drive the car hard enough on a public road in the summer to notice the compromise in ultimate performance. Consequently, if you do experience snow and ice conditions during the winter months they are a no-brainer as a no cost option.

Never seen a direct comparison between all seasons and either winter or summer tyres on a Macan.

Quite right VanB. I've ordered my new car with the £0.00 18" wheels and All Weathers
because I'll be fitting my set of 19" classics with new All Weathers to
the new car as soon as I get it home and won't need to bothered going from summers to winters because I can choose not to go on the roads in snow. I think All Weather rubber compound is more or less the same as Summer tyres, so no advantage below 7dgs, but at least they have a some tread on them for winter conditions.

The 18's will then be up for
sale with only 150ish miles on them, hoping to attract a buyer who may not need full winters but would like a set of wheels for the winter months so they can take off their big ones,
perhaps to refurb or just clean them up ready for spring/summer/autumn
use. I doubt many folks need full winters and these would be a suitable
compromise I think. I'll list them in the classifieds nearer the time.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Pegasus85

Post by Pegasus85 »

I have a quick question - I ordered all season 20" spyders, and rather stupidly I can't work out if the Pirelli P Zeros I have on the car are actually all season or not? Is there any way of telling with the P-zeros? If I have summers instead of what I specifically asked for, what would be the possibility of having them changed gratis?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH6LRZE7

SD Ordered April 2016

2nd Aug Lockdown
31st Aug build
Mid-Sept delivery
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

P zeros are a summer tyre. Think your OPC has cocked up your order.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Pegasus85

Post by Pegasus85 »

P zeros are a summer tyre. Think your OPC has cocked up your order.

Ah, I see. I'm really not having a lot of luck with this one am I!!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH6LRZE7

SD Ordered April 2016

2nd Aug Lockdown
31st Aug build
Mid-Sept delivery
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All seasons for the Macan supplied by an OPC will only come from the list on page 21 of winter tyre approvals:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

Check what your order form says. That's when you will know if you have a case or not.

Nuclear Nick2017-01-22 21:00:40
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA