All Season Vs Summer tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I got my Macan GTS a bit sideways on an ungritted road on summer tyres on my PEC day Confused

But at least my instructor was impressed that I collected it with no drama Smile
see The GTS should come with PTV+ Then this wouldn't happen and 2 sets of wheels works for Me
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.

lac

Post by lac »

I got my Macan GTS a bit sideways on an ungritted road on summer tyres on my PEC day Confused

But at least my instructor was impressed that I collected it with no drama Smile
see The GTS should come with PTV+ Then this wouldn't happen and 2 sets of wheels works for Me

Would love to have 2 sets for the Macan but 1- No room left! Already storing 2 complete sets of alloys/tyres (currently summers) in the garage.
And more importantly 2 - her that must be obeyed said no more wheels!

All season it is then
Carrara White GTS
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I believe my instructor at PEC was of the opinion that unless you need winters and so have to change at some point most will never push hard enough to notice any difference

Dandock - I don't want to contradict a PEC instructor. I was massively impressed with their advice when I spent time in their company. I wouldn't want to tell them how to drive a car fast.

I would have pushed back on that comment though, from personal experience. The driving characteristics of a winter tyre is massively different to a summer tyre (and is has to be as it was designed to). There is the difference in rubber compound for starters. The tread blocks are smaller with extra sipes to dissipate water. These sipes also  generate heat (which will destroy the tyre during warm summer driving). The biggest difference though is the side wall and the pliability of it. When driving at legal road speeds, taking a corner or roundabout at summer speeds (on a dry road) will soon make you realise that you are pushing your luck. A winter tyre compresses and rolls to such an extend that you are out of control even within the speed limit envelope.

All seasons are not winters so the PEC instructors comments are probably quite valid. I have used full winters on my M3 for 5 years (Same set )and they have never come even close to losing control. Also drove a 458 with full winters around Maranello at double the speed limits of those in the UK and never had any issues.

Slightly at cross purposes here, Nosmo. Partly my fault for not making clear that I was simply referring to the question posed by the title of the thread - AS v Summer, not AS v Winters as the conversation was at that moment.

I have no doubt that in proper winter weather 'winters' are a must compared to AS tyres but in the regular weather that we mostly experience in much of the UK PEC guy was saying that hardly anyone is capable of pushing hard enough, to notice any difference between AS and Summers. And let's face it that under normal circumstances they probably shouldn't be anyway. Dandock2017-02-07 09:35:26
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

My mistake.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Good winters are amazing, we had a demonstration in a Riga January a few years ago in icy snow taxiing to the airport.

Alarming at first but I soon realised the driver was sober and didn't have a death wish.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Would love to have 2 sets for the Macan but 1- No room left! Already storing 2 complete sets of alloys/tyres (currently summers) in the garage.

All season it is then
leave them at the OPC I do I've 2 sets of wheels in my garage already but they're the wife's
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
lac

Post by lac »

All season it is then
leave them at the OPC I do I've 2 sets of wheels in my garage already but they're the wife's

With my memory I would forget which ones I had and where they were stored. OPC 170 miles away too!
Carrara White GTS