All Season Vs Summer tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I would agree with others that you are unlikely to exceed the limits of all-weather tyres under normal UK road driving conditions. ie not including extreme winter or summer conditions.
They are, by their very nature, a compromise tyre and need to be judged as such.
They will not perform as well as winter tyres in very snowy conditions and nor will they perform as well as summer tyres in the extreme heat of the summer.
They will perform better than summer tyres in wintery conditions and they will also perform better than winter tyres in the summer.
IMHO I would imagine that the all-weather tyres would wear quicker than summer tyres in hot conditions though. No proof of that, that I know of, at the moment though.

Tall Phil2017-02-03 11:02:40
GTS \o/ - sold :(

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I will say it again......drove on Summer tyres every year for the last 15 years without any issues at all.

Lets not for one moment think that just because you may drive on snow with Summer tyres you are going to go sliding off the road at the first bend, you are not, unless you are a rubbish driver that is.

Drive in Winter and the chances are that you are going to be hit by an idiot, and in those situations your tyre choice is not likely to make much difference

AS are a compromise and one I would not go for especially on a GTS, its the braking distance increase with AS for 95% of the year that temperatures are above 7 degrees C that I would not accept personally.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

I suspect a Porsche with AS tyres will still come to a stop faster than the majority of cars on the road fitted with summer tyres.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Very true Van.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Zubydoo

Post by Zubydoo »

I ordered All Seasons tyres for my Turbo (20 inch wheels). A compromise perhaps but I have never felt any lack of grip - I don't take it on a track. Just had its first 20k mile service and still 5mm tread left on all 4 tyres so good for a long while yet. My wife's Cayenne had 21 inch Summer tyres which had to be replaced after 14k miles. I agree summer tyres are better in summer but I have found all season more than adequate, still quiet and long lasting
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

VanB - The only issue I have with the winter tyres has nothing to do with my choice of them. There are plenty of numbskulls who, during the recent smattering of snow, still sit up your ass with their summer tyres. Massive grin on their faces as they can finally "keep up with you" because you drive according to the conditions. When I then come to a quick stop their grin is wiped off their faces and I am in fear of them smasing into the back of my car. Not only does a Porker stop more quickly than numerous other cars, the winter tyres also provide heaps more grip.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Guy

Post by Guy »

Luckily we don't get much snow here in Bucharest ...
Guy

Post by Guy »

That's not mine BTW. Mine's in the underground garage with its blanket on!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I've had two cars, just one with space-saver, so I voted 9 times.
That's how these multiple choice forums work, right?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice Palladium! Cool
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018