All Season Vs Summer tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
LLL

Post by LLL »

This topic has been beaten about many times...

There is just one real benefit of all season tyres - to save money. Everything else is just plain better with having dedicated set of summer and winter tyres. I would vote for Porsche to stop offering these all season tyres. For safety in traffic why would you want to have longer braking distance all year around? That can be the difference between an accident and avoiding it. Think about that.

Guy

Post by Guy »

There is just one real benefit of all season tyres - to save money.

In my case it was also to save space. I move house every couple of years and already carry two sets of wheels/tyres around for the VW. I cannot afford the space to both carry and store more wheels - and big ones at that! If the Macan was my only car, I would definitely have two sets.

Guy2017-02-03 12:44:41
VanB

Post by VanB »

I'd be very interested to see empirical data on stopping distances of the Macan on different tyres in different conditions but I don't suppose that is available. Otherwise a lot of the argument is based on conjecture.

Then compare stopping distances of a Dacia Duster (or similar)in similar circumstances and I suspect, as has already been mentioned, the danger is other cars/drivers more than the choice of tyre fitted to your Macan.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

Thanks for your comments. I'll probably go with summer tyres my view is that even with summer tyres on a 4x4 is better than 2 wheel drive with AS or winter tyres and much better than my current rear wheel drive CLS with summers tyres I also agree that the ability and skills of the driver makes a significant difference in snow driving or icy conditions and no matter how competent you are a driver it won't make any difference if some plum runs into you
White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5
Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

The dealer mentioned that feedback from owners was that AS tyres last much longer than summer tyres.
White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Not wanting to be controversial but I disagree. I doubt many people wold notice that much difference between all seasons and normal summer tyres in summer conditions. I've had the opportunity to drive macans wiith both and I was hard pushed to tell the difference. On that basis both my petrol S and now GTS have all seasons fitted. The S was driven across Europe in the summer with no issues at all.

I also spoke to a few tyre experts before ordering at all of them told me that they fit winter tyres for use all year round as they are nearly as good as summer tyres in the summer are the best tyres to use in the winter and they wear less than summer tyres overall so last longer.

Do some reasearch of your own and come to your own conclusions Miopyk2017-02-03 13:04:23
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Coley, you're probably right on balance to go with summers, to get the benefit most of the year.

I'd question your view though that a 4X4 on summers is better than a 2wd on winters in winter conditions. You may be thinking only about traction, but most of the risk in these conditions comes in stopping and cornering and in this case anything on winters will be better.

Nuclear Nick2017-02-03 13:09:33
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

This topic has been beaten about many times...

Like. +1.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Paul

Post by Paul »

I also spoke to a few tyre experts before ordering at all of them told me that they fit winter tyres for use all year round as they are nearly as good as summer tyres in the summer are the best tyres to use in the winter and they wear less than summer tyres overall so last longer.

Do some reasearch of your own and come to your own conclusions

Happy to be corrected, but I don't see how a softer compound winter tyre with many more, thinner, more fragile sipes can possibly last longer than a harder summer tyre if used all year round?

PS..recent research material....
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-20162017-top-all-weather-tyres-tested
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I have just passed 14,000 miles on my 20" All seasons and have loads of tread depth left on all 4 tyres. Tyres look like new.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.