All Season Vs Summer tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

Been trying to decide and weigh up the pros and cons of tyre options before deciding which tyre to choose on my GTS order.

I would be interested to see which tyre is the most popular choice and why members chose either AS or Summer tyres ?

Cheers
White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

21" wheels, so no all season available but figure for vast majority of the year summer are the best option for road holding and ride quality. Best option of course is to also have a winter set, or in my case when it snows, nick the wife's LR 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Caster

Post by Caster »

Being a Yorkshireman and potentially facing some dodgy conditions I had 18" Scorpion all seasons on my previous Evoque + no probs summer/winter driving so went for same 18" Scorpions on my SD as well.

Last 3-4 previous motors I'd always switched from summers to winters but hopefully got a good compromise with the all seasons + obviously saves changing if that way inclined. So far, so good.

Wider tyres etc on GTS so will be interesting to hear views of those owners.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Plenty on this topic already as we've done it to death elsewhere. A search will reveal.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am an advocate of two sets of wheels, one Summer and Winters on the other.

If you are not prepared for that fit all season given where you are
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

If you have to use a car on a daily basis irrespective of weather, and the Macan is your only car, then two sets (winter and summer) are pretty much essential across Northern Europe.
However, given that winter (or AS) tyres are not mandatory in UK, the problem will always be the other drivers using summer tyres and driving too fast for the conditions. If you are happy to take the risk of 'being crashed into', then at the very least winter tyres may help you to avoid trouble. Over the last 7 years I have lived in Denmark, Germany and now Romania; in each country 'winter' or 'AS/M&S' tyres are required by law in wintery conditions, so the risk is greatly reduced.
As I have said many times before, consider a cheap second car as a 'winter hack' - this may be a more cost-effective or more flexible alternative. My 17 year old VW Golf has full-winters fitted for the days that I have to drive. My Macan has AS tyres to comply with the law across most of mainland Europe, but I simply don't use it in the winter if I am not prepared to take the risk.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I should have added - prior to my 'European tour' I lived near Milton-Keynes. Always a bit dodgy driving there, irrespective of the conditions! Wink
Paul

Post by Paul »

I guess everyone's answer will be influenced by where they live and how often they need to drive in adverse conditions.
Here in sunny Bristol, we've barely had to scrape the screen so far this season. Couple that with the fact that I no longer have to drive to work and summers are fine for me. I'm sure if I had to commute 50 miles at dawn every morning accross the pennines for example, I'd have a different view (similar to Guy's)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I personally wouldn't compromise on All Seasons on any Porsche, but then I do have a small cheap 4x4 for poorer weather. Only cost me the price of a set of proper snow tyres and wheels.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

+1 on all of the above except that I am not a fan of AS at all. RabJ puts it succinctly enough.

Edited to say: Please add the option of separate sets of winters and summers. It gives a more representative reflection.

Nosmo2017-02-03 10:39:37
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18