Spacers on macan with 21

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

This must be a dumb question! What are spacers?

What we used to put on our minis when we were teeneagers to widen the track a bit .....

exactly
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

Lol yes my first car was a green clubman 1275gt which I spent all my weekly YTS money modding (spacers) and stopping the rust
White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Fitting spacers can make handling worse as they affect the roll centre and make the steering harder. With standard wheels and suspension, the design is usually such that the front wheels pivot about the centre of the tyre contact patch with the road. Once you move the wheel out, this is no longer the case so you can get more kick back through the steering on potholes and irregularities and it needs more force to turn the wheel. It can also affect the roll centre location and the Ackerman angle so these too can affect the steering and handling. Without knowing the exact suspension component dimensions and angles it's not possible to work out just what the effects would be, but programs such as ASP can be used to calculate the effects if you do have the exact measurements.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
d8ean

Post by d8ean »

I've got them on my c4s, stance is alot better at the rear... fills the arches perfectly now
just thought it would be nice to fill the macans a little better
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fitting spacers can make handling worse as they affect the roll centre and make the steering harder. With standard wheels and suspension, the design is usually such that the front wheels pivot about the centre of the tyre contact patch with the road. Once you move the wheel out, this is no longer the case so you can get more kick back through the steering on potholes and irregularities and it needs more force to turn the wheel. It can also affect the roll centre location and the Ackerman angle so these too can affect the steering and handling. Without knowing the exact suspension component dimensions and angles it's not possible to work out just what the effects would be, but programs such as ASP can be used to calculate the effects if you do have the exact measurements.

If only I had known all of this when I took out a neighbours stationary Ford Anglia when turning into my mums road. Mini 1 Anglia nil. Some quick rework on the front end of the mini ( apprentice in very capable engineering shop) but the Anglia was a write off problem was the owner was a 6.4 fire officer and ex guardsman 😳 fortunately he fancied my mum so once again she saved my bacon But too late to tell either of them and the attending PC 👮 that it wasn't my reckless driving, it was those bloody spacers ( also made by me ) 😇
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great story.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Mick718

Post by Mick718 »

Hello Dean.
Sorry to contact you in this way but i believe my PM sent to you was deleted.
In short I am please hoping you can assist me by deleting this thread.
http://www.boxa.net

I believe this is hurting my chance at a sale and as a businessman yourself I am sure you'll appreciate my point.
Thank you for your help.
Have a nice day.
Best Regards
Last edited by Mick718 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick718

Post by Mick718 »

d8ean wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 pm Anyone fitted spacers to the above? If so what did you go for?
Hello Dean.
Sorry to contact you in this way but i believe my PM sent to you was deleted.
In short I am please hoping you can assist me by deleting this t

I believe this is hurting my chance at a sale and as a businessman yourself I am sure you'll appreciate my point.
Thank you for your help.
Hav
Last edited by Mick718 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Just hit the little red exclamation icon in the top right of the post and report that you'd like the thread deleting.

This lets you speak with the forum moderators without bumping a thread to the top of the list so that everyone reads it again.

Moderators and site owners don't read every post that people make in the hopes that people are making requests.

Creating a report with the red icon sends an alert out that gets read.
happy days

Post by happy days »

MikeM wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 am
If only I had known all of this when I took out a neighbours stationary Ford Anglia when turning into my mums road. Mini 1 Anglia nil. Some quick rework on the front end of the mini ( apprentice in very capable engineering shop) but the Anglia was a write off problem was the owner was a 6.4 fire officer and ex guardsman 😳 fortunately he fancied my mum so once again she saved my bacon But too late to tell either of them and the attending PC 👮 that it wasn't my reckless driving, it was those bloody spacers ( also made by me ) 😇

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan S D
718 S