Traction Control

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

Recently I had my SD in such a position on a slightly uphill dirt track, that one front wheel was off the ground- and that's where the car stayed-failing to proceed- just spinning the wheel. I pressed all buttons that I thought might help to no avail. In all AWD cars I've driven (Subaru Outback, VW Amarok), traction control would have locked the spinning wheel without drama. Is this normal? If it is I can feel a Cayenne coming on.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Sounds like a fault.

Did you give the system a second to see the spin and react?

In the Japanese 4x4s I've seen with electronic controls the wheel spins a bit then stops.

This can give rise to a slightly jerky forward progress but they seem to get through almost anything eventually.

It's tempting to ask for a triple diff lock but that puts stress on the transmission, especially when we forget to turn it off!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Retired

Post by Retired »

Did you try 'Off Road Mode'?

Don't know if it would make any difference but it is supposed to adapt to off road conditions.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As stated, next time push the Off Road button in the centre console.

Remember to switch it off.

BTW the Cayenne is awesome off road, I drove one around the off road course at the PEC, I did not believe that a car
inclined to its right at 40 degrees could turn sharp left and climb a 40 degree slope but it did.
.Col Lamb2017-02-28 10:35:49
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Frightening, especially when the instructor at the PEC takes his hands off the controls and lets the Cayenne do its own thing off-road.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

Pushing Off Road makes no difference. All the power is going to the spinning front wheel-the rears just sit there. I must now try it again and see how it displays the power distribution.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Are you still stuck or did you get out? And how?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

No, I was duplicating a suspicion I had driving a few weeks ago on a "one way" track- that is once committed there was no turning back. Knowing what I know now I might have been a little more cautious! On that occasion I reversed and just gave it a bit of wellie.
The car shows that it is delivering 50% to each end but the front elevated wheel spins whilst the diagonal wheel hardly moves.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I've seen a video of a Macan almost getting stuck on a speed bump that it was crossing at an angle. One wheel just spinning. I think it was a rear.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

My service man has spoken to Germany and explained that my car is behaving as intended. I'm curious that it has an offroad button but won't go off road. Has anyone had 3 wheels on hard and one on ice to see what happens?
In the meantime is there a UK Cayenne forum such as this?
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel