When to go to Summer boots?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Been mulling over when to change from winter back to summer tyres...I want to get on the summers asap.

Advised by OPC that "late March, early April" would be the best time but felt that a bit arbitrary so did a bit more digging.

My conclusion is that I should change as soon as the night time temperature is above 7C fairly consistently (which should mean that the day temp is above 7C too!). Given the current forecast for this area that will not be before late March earliest.

Any other input anyone?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

steve w

Post by steve w »

Never put winter tyres on ,looks like you live in the south so I'd change them now.
SteveW
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I'm in the "arbitrary" camp. I put them on at the end of November and change back end of March/beginning of April. This is partly driven by extending the time before I need to consider new Summer tyres.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Guy

Post by Guy »

When I lived in Germany the phrase 'Oktober to Ostern' (Easter) was used as a guide, but generally the 7 degree cut-off that you mentioned was thought to be about as scientific as you need to get.
Whenever you choose to change them to Summers, you can virtually guarantee snow the following week!
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Been mulling over when to change from winter back to summer tyres...I want to get on the summers asap.
Advised by OPC that "late March, early April" would be the best time but felt that a bit arbitrary so did a bit more digging.
My conclusion is that I should change as soon as the night time temperature is above 7C fairly consistently (which should mean that the day temp is above 7C too!). Given the current forecast for this area that will not be before late March earliest.
Any other input anyone?

Your conclusion is sound. I agree that when +7 is regular it's time to change, as I have on our runabout car for several years. Winters on early November, Summers on late March. Never been caught out. Out on Monday, although it was bright, temp was only 6, so a few more weeks yet. My Macan will have all weathers and with little winter use, will stay on them all year round.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Never even thought about Winters here in sunny Bedfordshire. It's only dropped to the minuses a few nights this Winter and I spend most of my days driving in London where they have a special central heating system for the roads called the Tube. LOL
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Caster

Post by Caster »

Guess as others have implied it depends on where you live and prevailing temps etc.

All seasons on my SD so not relevant this year but on previous motors I'd always generally swapped to winter/summer boots at same time as "clock changes".
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

If you take a look at this Ray G:

You can see average low, high and mean daily temperatures by month for all regions of the UK. Depending on what time of day you do most of your driving this would suggest for you that some time this month would be the time to change.

I'll be booking mine in for late this month or early next.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Thanks for the input all.

Bit of a micro climate here where I live. Temps night before last below freezing and still zero when I went out at 6.30 in the morning (hence the interest in night time temperatures). It can snow here on the Downs when wet two miles away.

It has been a lot colder here this winter than previous few, especially at night, so hence my concern about changing too early.

Decided to wait 'til end March and see what it looks like temperature-wise then.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

Sod's law states that it always snows at Easter...
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.