New Brakes for Turbo

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
happy days

Post by happy days »

Suspect PTV+ speeds brake wear but that should presumably impact pads more than disks.

Don't they go hand in hand? Pads and discs that is...
Macan S D
718 S

Retired

Post by Retired »

Suspect PTV+ speeds brake wear but that should presumably impact pads more than disks.

Why?
Guy

Post by Guy »

Why?

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)

Sports car makers adore corners. With our technologies, we are forever fanning the flames of the relationship. PTV Plus is an optional system for enhancing both driving dynamics and stability.

Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle's vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.

At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow.

Optional for all Macan models

Retired

Post by Retired »

Why?

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)

Sports car makers adore corners. With our technologies, we are forever fanning the flames of the relationship. PTV Plus is an optional system for enhancing both driving dynamics and stability.

Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle's vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.

At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow.

Optional for all Macan models

I knew that.

I was wondering about the assertion that this has more effect on the pads than the discs.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I knew that.

Oh good. Perhaps not everyone did! Wink
JJay

Post by JJay »

Pads maybe, discs surely not. On a performance car you would expect more.

The brakes on the GTS are phenomenal but over just 3k miles progressive wear hasn't really been tested.

Funny though at the PEC 2 weeks ago I drove a 911 Carrera S for 6-7 laps on the short circuits until the brakes over heated and we had to go for a few trips down Ice Hill to cool them down. Now I know that the brakes take a bit of a hammering on those circuits but after 7 laps for the brakes to give up on a £90k performance car?
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

The brakes on the GTS are phenomenal but over just 3k miles progressive wear hasn't really been tested.

Funny though at the PEC 2 weeks ago I drove a 911 Carrera S for 6-7 laps on the short circuits until the brakes over heated and we had to go for a few trips down Ice Hill to cool them down. Now I know that the brakes take a bit of a hammering on those circuits but after 7 laps for the brakes to give up on a £90k performance car?

Maybe stock fluid and pads?

There is a tendency to keep wearing parts cheap to allow low running cost claims on all cars.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Retired

Post by Retired »

Drove a Caymans S on those circuits and the stopping power was still good but quite a bit of rumble from the brakes and a nice cooking smell when we stopped.

Have also driven a Macan with ceramic brakes on the circuits and whilst when we stopped the amount of heat radiating from the brakes was impressive they were still working perfectly.

This treatment is beyond anything you're likely to do on the road except maybe descending an alpine pass.
figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

So, a quick update...

design911uk had the parts (just not on their website)

Here's the breakdown (inc VAT):
FD: £380 (pair)
FP: £210 (pair)
RD: £268 (pair)
RP: £239 (pair)
Sensors: £67 (x4)
Pins: £20 (x4)
Total Parts: 1184

Local mechanic fit: £180
Grand Total: £1364

It turned out that all pads and all disks really did need replacing... however, I enjoyed every one of those 25k miles that I was thrashing the crap out of the accelerator and the brakes Smile

figlet1082017-04-05 22:54:42
happy days

Post by happy days »

From memory, pads and discs all round would take about an hour to fit. Your mech is well paid!
Macan S D
718 S