New Brakes for Turbo

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

Forgive me if this has been covered... did a search and didn't find anything.

After 25k miles my Turbo needs 4 new disks and pads.
I'm being told that I have to go with Porsche to get it done as apparently the parts aren't available yet for the indies to do it...

Really? Anyone else been down this road yet?
Porsche are quoting about £2.5k which, while I acknowledge is a 1st world problem, it a bit painful all in one go...

Thoughts?

happy days

Post by happy days »

Ouch!

Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

25 000 miles seems a bit "early" (but I guess it depends on how enthusiastic you've been )
Franchised dealers are always keen to fit discs at the same time as pads but it's not always necessary. Ask them why?
I'm also a bit surprised that they're not yet available tside the network; the car's been out since mid / late 2014......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi,
I had the same situation.
The cost to the OPC isn't much to do the work, hence I sold the car to them as part ex for a new one at less cost than replacing the brakes. This is the reward for having a car with such good residuals. I imagine they just skimmed the discs before selling it on though. Always worth exploring all possibilities.
Rob
figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

@Paul, I do drive enthusiastically, but Porsche (Bolton service department) told me that apparently from about 20k miles is what they expect to have to replace all the brakes on a Turbo... no idea if that's true or BS.

The car was serviced in Dec (5k miles ago) and all the pads and disks had worn down to levels that would require replacement in another 5k-10k miles. Now that the 'replace pads' warning has lit, it's fair to assume everything needs replacing...

I'm also surprised the parts aren't available...

figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

Hey @Rob, that's very interesting - hadn't thought of that...

When did this happen and what were they quoting you for the brakes?

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

All four disks and sets of pads, at 18k miles!! By all accounts I must be an enthusiastic driver. Was estimated, not quoted at 2.6k for the work.
As I always pay for my cars through finance, I don't want to mislead you by saying the cost was less to part ex, as I have changed to a GTS from petrol S and the final payment is higher, but monthly payments are now way lower and for a better base car.
However, if you also pay through PCP or similar, better interest rates are probably available now than when you bought your turbo, so worth enquiring.
Ps, how are your tyres, these normally go well before the brakes?
Rob
wilko

Post by wilko »

macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

@Rob, no, I paid for it outright after almost fully loading it and waiting forever for it arrive... so don't really want to go through that again any time soon...
All my tyres are are pretty much in need of replacing too.

@wilko, thanks for that link. I don't see anything there for my 20" wheels, but I'll call them and see what they say.

I'm also thinking to get one of my US buddies to ship me the parts from Suncoast:

figlet1082017-04-03 16:59:17
figlet108

Post by figlet108 »

Well design911uk claim that the parts do exist for ordering, but only original Porsche parts as apparently Macan is too new for any alternatives to have appeared.

Waiting for a quote to be emailed as we speak... fingers crossed.