Puncture and fix

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I used a piece of chipboard that was similar in dimension to the jacking plate. The trolley jack has a flat pad anyway - and yes, all was fine.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Or you always someone to do it for you 😁

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Was that a cleaning spray? Hopefully not lube applied to the wheel bolts.

Nick, on the topic of correct torque what are your thoughts on Copperslip?

I do tend to use a smear on various faces to overcome what is usually electrolytic corrosion that makes wheels and studs hard to break on the side of the road in the rain
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

If you want to go by the book, Porsche say only to use Optimoly TA which is an aluminium based anti seize grease.
John_M

Post by John_M »

What could go wrong Youtube pitstop
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

What could go wrong Youtube pitstop

I could miss out a couple of words. 🙄
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Was that a cleaning spray? Hopefully not lube applied to the wheel bolts.

Nick, on the topic of correct torque what are your thoughts on Copperslip?

I do tend to use a smear on various faces to overcome what is usually electrolytic corrosion that makes wheels and studs hard to break on the side of the road in the rain

Hi Dennis. Copperslip is good for helping prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals and it's this crud that often makes it difficult to remove a wheel. In that situation the wheel can often be freed by lowering the car with just loosened bolts. A bit of rocking or even rolling the car forward or back a little should free a stubborn wheel. Don't loosen the bolts too much though!

However, lubrication should not be applied to the threads of the wheel bolts. The specified torque figure is calculated to give the correct clamping force and bolt stretch with dry threads. Lubricating the bolts will result in a greater stretch or even damage the threads of the bolt or hub. This is why a more precise method of tightening bolts is by measuring the angle of rotation or by measuring the bolt stretch, but that's not very practical in many cases.

Incidentally, has anyone tried loosening the bolts with the supplied wrench? If you can't do it by the roadside then you'll still have to call Porsche Assistance. Otherwise carry a breaker bar and socket or a suitable tube to increase leverage to free the bolts.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Porsche only recommend aluminium anti-seize grease - specifically Optimoly TA - and not copper (you can debate whether they have a real reason for doing so, but they do).
I would fully agree that you should not grease wheel bolts in most scenarios and Porsche say the same.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The key takeaway for me from this thread is ...... get someone else to do it who knows what they're doing. Kudos to you guys who are more practical and knowledgeable!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The key takeaway for me from this thread is ...... get someone else to do it who knows what they're doing. Kudos to you guys who are more practical and knowledgeable!

Agreed. But how do you know that they know what they are doing?! Every tyre fit place just does them up with the air powered guns and they have always been fine in my experience! Whenever I have had a wheel off I have just done it back up as tight as I can easily do - no problems have ensued. I think we probably worry too much about "getting it right"