Tyre wear?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Ditto even wear at just short of 10K - I'd be surprised not to get 20K from the Michelins if present wear rates continue (we don't drive slowly and little motorway work).
Petrol S delivered Apr 16

emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

Hiya all, long time no speak! :roll:
OK - so for all those with high milers and tyre wear questions; I've got 67k on mine, the 3-year warranty expires next month and my tyres are fairly well behaved aside from one little issue which nobody seems to be able to address. OK, so the spec;
- 20" wheels, on a 3.0D
- air suspension
- latitude 3 since new
- not tried any others!
I do change the pressures if I know i'm gonna run loaded, but more often than not ride at the 33psi front and 36psi back (from cold).
I'm not a Sunday driver but I usually get 40mpg average on a tank although I can get 47, or at the other end of the scale about 34mpg.
The rear tyres last about 30k and the fronts 21-22k.

Long build up, but stay with me; the only reason the fronts last 20k is that the nearside front loses it's outside shoulder to the point that it runs through the traction layer of tread "rubber" (it's obviously a really engineered form of the elastic substance, as it weighs next to nothing - next time yours are changed just lift one; they are amazingly light) right down to the next compound. If it were not for this, the fronts would last at least another 6-7k.

Anybody else experience this? I'm 101% sure it's not seen a kerb or a pothole, and the OPC (Bristol) cannot find anything wrong with wheel alignment (3 separate checks), but there is obviously something wrong somewhere... anyone?
PS. Yes, the transfer box has been swapped out under warranty, but apart from reducing the amount of rear wheel "skip" has not changed much.

nearside front.jpg

offside front.jpg

Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Hi Mark, welcome back and long time no hear from. Thought you must have moved over to another marque.

The wear pattern to me certainly looks like an alignment issue.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

With over 300 roundabouts, people who live in Milton Keynes experience similar tyre wear - always the NSF :?
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Guy wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:14 pm With over 300 roundabouts, people who live in Milton Keynes experience similar tyre wear - always the NSF :?
I concur it looks very like roundaboutitous :D
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

+1. Perhaps little exuberance on those roundabouts?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

I'm having the same trouble on a Cayenne. In order to stop it scrubbing the car pulls to the left (enough to require constant pressure). The dealer has been onto it for a year, seven wheel alignments, new tyres, even custom made bushes for more adjustment. I think they imagine I'll get sick of it all.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

It might be worth taking it to one of the small handful of proper alignment places in the UK. I’d recommend Wheels In Motion in Chesham, but it depends where you are...

Drifting and requiring pressure is normally a rear wheel alignment issue.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

My fronts are showing a similar wear pattern on the outside shoulders. 17K miles on 20" rims. I would expect to change them at approx 20K.

Not sure the OPC will do an alignment check for free though.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
TD444

Post by TD444 »

I only managed 17.5k on my 21" Pirelli on a Macan Diesel..... they did wear pretty much even....

I switched to Michelin now - haven't done 1k yet but happier with them...

T
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May