The value of a spare.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

To all you doubting Thomas's who argue against including a spare just because you have never had a puncture, do have a look at the image.

Well today this happened to me, a 15 mm gash in the sidewall thanks to a sharp rock I hit on a very narrow country lane in the Lake District.

A can of gunk would do sweet FA if it was used to try to repair.

No waiting goodness how long for recovery 1/2 hour later after fitting the spare we were on our way to the nearest OPC.

Now the painful bit of the cost of a new tyre.

IMG_0849.JPG

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

johnd

Post by johnd »

Are you sure it was a rock - looks more like the tyre got taken out with a tranquilizer dart. :?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

:lol: :lol: (at the tranquilliser dart comment)

:o :o (at the puncture)
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ouch. Is that a small scuff on the edge of the alloy as well? I ended up driving up a verge a couple of weeks ago to avoid a lorry in the middle of the road but escaped without any injury.
How easy was it to change the wheel? Was the supplied jack any good? Or the usual hopeless screw type? And how heavy are the 20in Spyders? Depending how worn the tyres are, they might suggest you replace both on that axle.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

johnd wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 pm Are you sure it was a rock - looks more like the tyre got taken out with a tranquilizer dart. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Shame about the puncture though - very annoying.
Caster

Post by Caster »

Blimey, sorry to hear that Col but nice work re getting to the OPC under your own steam. Often no phone signal in some of those Lakeland spots so without a spare guess you could be flagging down other motorists etc.

Hope you're up and running on new rubber soon + it doesn't cost too much!

PS....have you got any tyre/alloy insurance to cover it?
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Not a pleasant site Col. 😳

Hope it's sorted soon and not too painful.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Damn annoying that tribe of Lake District hunter killers with their blowpipes, I never saw it coming.

The tyre deflated instantly but I had to drive a mile with the flat to get off the one track road to an area where I could safely change the wheel.

Firstly, the spare and the jack, tools, locking wheel nut are a packing work of art.

It is a good job there was a screwdriver as I needed that to prise the locking wheel nut out of its holder.

The wheel nuts are hellish tight.

The jack is a doddle, ensure it is fitted into the recess in the cill and it easily raises the car.

Once a bit of load is taken by the jack, remove three wheel nuts around the twelve o'clock position of the pitch circle diameter of the wheel bolts, then in the nearest to the twelve o'clock position fit the bar with the thread on one end into the hole and secure it. Remove the remaining two wheel screws and slide the wheel off, the bar fitted to the twelve o'clock position helps keeping the wheel from getting into contact with the disc and caliper.

Inflating the space saver is weird as mine inflated assymetrically across the tread, but once at 3.5 bar all was OK.

That bar then helps in guiding the space saver into position.

The standard Spyders are damn heavy to hump up into the boot, certainly glad I had some bumper protection by way of a grip mat that I laid over it otherwise I would have scratched the paintwork of the bumper.

TIPS
Wrap some insulation tape around the wheel nut box spanner so that when it is inserted into the wheel bolt holes the metal spanner does not damage the finish of the wheel.

Have a pair of light gloves in the boot to use whilst changing the wheel.

A pair of those white disposable overalls kept in the boot will also keep your cloths protected.

Have a grip mat in the boot to use to protect the bumper (£2 off Amazon).

Keep a torch for if you have to change a wheel at night.
So there it is, hope this helps getting you prepared for something I hope does not happen to you.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Really great advice and thank you for sharing it.

Really sorry to hear you had that experience though; better duck next time that LD tribe are on the prowl! :evil:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver