May Need New Tyres..

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Just call me Daisy. I would have got 30k+ on my X5. Then again I learnt my trade in the old Discoveries. You didn't brake in them as it took too long to build up speed again.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I did over 35k in my Evoque without it needing new tyres. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

I can frequently feel my SD overpowering my Michelin’s, it’s ability to put power down v’s the ability of the rubber to not shred and deform is not in the tyres favour and this from some one that’s owned Caymans and Carreras, it’s a big lump and asking a lot of those tyres.. they will wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm
TD444 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm Thanks 17.5k miles is still lower than what I was hoping for...
If only .... Manfacturers of 'special' type rated tyres do not engineer/design their product with longevity as an important factor. Porsche, and others, tell the tyre producer what they want, obviously for Porsche the objectve will perhaps be mantaining handlng and performance over the life of the tyre to their exacting standards. The bead may be stronger, the carcase may be constructed dfferently and the compound may differ, but I doubt we would find a claim to long life.
The tyre wear factor is graded for every tyre and its pattern:
"The UTQG rating system originated in the US as a way to help consumers make more informed tire-buying decisions. Tire manufacturers give their own tires a grade for treadwear, traction and temperature. Together, these numbers makes up a tire's UTQG rating—a three-digit number plus two letters. For example, 500 A A. "

See: www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/utqg

Factors that determine the ACTUAL mileage you will get on YOUR car include:
# the individual's driving style - fast into a bend / slow out or vice versa; habit of light early or late heavy braking; constant in-bend correction or smooth
# the road surfaces and their smoothness or roughness of Tarmac or concrete surface
# the terrain that form the bulk of your drives - flat, straight, hilly and / or twisty
# lots of roundabouts or few on your typical journey
# predominantly motorway driving, that generally engenders longer tyre life compared to national speed limit A or B-roads with their sharper bends, junctions and traffic lights
# the speed at which you usually typically drive on those routes
# ambient temperature - e.g. summer tyres wear slower in the cold winter months v. winter tyres wear fastest in the summer months [if still fitted to the car]

The higher the engine power, torque and the centre of gravity and weight of the vehicle all impact tyre wear.
Generally speaking the lower profile the tyre, then the greater the wear rate. For example a 30 aspect ratio compared to a 70 series. This is cased by the tread blocks'squirming' more and so they are 'scrubbed' more when turning. In the Macan's case the alloy wheel OE options range from 235/60R18 to 295/35R21.

So tyre life ultimately is a very individual thing! even when using and comparing the same make / model / engine combination vehicle.

sorry if that's too much information..... :oops:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was going to add that my GTS has done 13000 miles and the tyres are on 5/6 mm ish.....but I have done approx 75% motorway, so the above post does confirm.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Should add that maintaining the correct tyre pressures is vital to maximising tyre life. However I'm sure that you guys already do that a with the aid of the TP monitoring instrument screen. :geek:
Steve

Paul

Post by Paul »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 pm Should add that maintaining the correct tyre pressures is vital to maximising tyre life. However I'm sure that you guys already do that a with the aid of the TP monitoring instrument screen. :geek:
SAC1, genuine question with no hidden agenda...I find I have to add 0.1 / 0.2 in the winter to get back up to 2.3/ 2.5........should I do this or leave the pressures “ lower” at sub 20 degrees..?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Ambient temperature has an impact on tyre pressures. The general rule is to always check pressures when the tyres are 'cold'. So at least an hour after driving and not when the vehicle is parked in direct sunlight.

So yes often more air is needed in the colder winter months.

IMO nitrogen fill is a waste of money. Okay for race cars, but not needed on road cars.
Steve

Paul

Post by Paul »

👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Great advice, on tyres I agree that there are so many variables when it comes to tyre wear ... basically it’s not a science ;) .. one point I would make is always when renewing tyre try and get the newest date stamp, as this will make a difference to the traction..but in my opinion will wear quicker that older ones as the silca tends to harden over time.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊