May Need New Tyres..

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
TD444

Post by TD444 »

All,

Just had a quick look around my boots and they may need changing soon - I have Pirelli's on 21" Turbo wheels

There is 13k miles on my Macan SD so was surprised to see the tyres nearly gone.

Rear's not at the markers yet but not far to go, fronts have a little more than the rears.

Getting prices now for replacement Pirelli's...

Any of you experience similar poor wear or is this normal? And have tried any other brands yet with good performance on wear & grip?

Cheers
T
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

My Pirelli P-Zeros on 21" lasted 17.5k.

There was a bit more meat left on them but it was due a service at the OPC and I wanted them replacing first at a reasonable
rate before it went in.

I got them via Blackcircles.com @ £919 inc vat for all four corners fully fitted.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Cannot say about tyre wear yet, but Michelin Latitude Sport 3 [summer pattern] have a good longevity reputation on the Macan.

It really pays to shop around when buying tyres. ;)

Here's a [far from comprehensive] comparison site www.tyrecomp.co.uk

Blackcircles [owned by Michelin who also own ATS Euromaster] and www.mytres.co.uk [part of Delti.com] are the two biggest on-line dealers.

If you decide to stay with Pirelli, then you can find their authorised dealers in your area here www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-yo ... er-locator

Some OPCs do price matching.

When you have a 'short list' of suppliers then do some checks on the quality of their equipment, reputation and past customers recommendations.
When having the tyres fitted try and observe the fitting and balancing procedure to ensure the work is done without incident to the rim faces etc. If possible inspect the face-plate of the tyre changing machine for grit / dirt PRIOR to your first wheel assembly being stripped down. :idea:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
TD444

Post by TD444 »

Thanks 17.5k miles is still lower than what I was hoping for.....

I am in NI - so some of the options posted are not readily available here - I will check on prices - no issue there and have friends that can fit them ensuring no damage....

Happy to get Porsche to do it if prices are keen....

Was just curious if there are any better wearing tyres than the Pirelli...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Might be worth trying Michelin tyres.

That's what I am using - but on 20" wheels. 20,000 miles so far.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Modern Tyres? Usually not bad value and order in as required if not in stock.
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

or Magowan or Charles Hurst
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

N&P in Ballymena keep and sell a lot of high end stuff. Prices always very keen and rims well looked after. N even drives a Macan.
I have listened to a lot of the exceptional tyre wear talk on this forum with a pinch of salt.
I am not sure how much tread is on a new Pirelli tyre, some say 8mm, but the ones on my GTS were down to four on the back and five front at 6500k when I sold it last week so I wouldn't see your wear as exceptional unless you drive like Miss Daisy
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

TD444 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm Thanks 17.5k miles is still lower than what I was hoping for...
If only .... Manfacturers of 'special' type rated tyres do not engineer/design their product with longevity as an important factor. Porsche, and others, tell the tyre producer what they want, obviously for Porsche the objectve will perhaps be mantaining handlng and performance over the life of the tyre to their exacting standards. The bead may be stronger, the carcase may be constructed dfferently and the compound may differ, but I doubt we would find a claim to long life.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

That mileage isn't too far away from what I would expect. Sold my SQ5 with 12k miles needing 4 tyres. Also had X5s on 20" wheels which got 10 to 12k from a set.