Chains on 20” wheels

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
bompey

Post by bompey »

Does anyone know if snow chains fit on 20” spiders? We usually go to the alps at Easter and don’t need chains but next year we’re thinking of going in February, in which case we should probably have a set of winter wheels and tyres, or snow chains.
Chains would be cheaper but I when I looked into this a few years back Porsche didn’t recommend it. What do others do?
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The Porsche list of approved winter tyres says no, only 19" and 18". The listed summer tyres makes no reference to chains. Maybe best to check with your OPC.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Porsche say No to anything other than 18” wheels.....

but, I bought 2 pairs of snow socks and a pair of (very expensive) Thule chains which I’ve successfully fitted, but not used in anger for my GTS.

We went up to Alp d’Huez the year before last. Make it a Saturday when you come and go (normal changeover day) and just follow the herd of coaches up to the resort😉

Sox: https://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/shop/p ... sQQAvD_BwE

Chains : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Will you be allowed to drive up the mountain without winter (or all season) tyres? If the conditions are bad, I think they might insist on winter tyres as well as chains... or is that only Austria and Germany? I think you need to do a bit of googling before you rely on just taking some chains. As you say, Tequipment site is just 18 and 19 inch wheels.
Paul

Post by Paul »

French rules are that you must “carry” appropriate equipment ( not “fit” unless you are stopped by the police / gendarmes at the botton of the hill)
Typically chains, but snowsox are more and more acceptable - depending on your grasp of the French language when you negociate with the gendarmes😉
Winter tyres aren’t mandatory - but a 4x4 with winters is unlikely to get stopped, either by the Police or by snow.
There are of course insurance company considerations etc if you do have a bump.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
bompey

Post by bompey »

It all seems a bit of a minefield. Going at Easter like we normally do doesnt worry me but I think I may need to invest in winter tyres for next February. If anyone knows of a good winter set available let me know.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
Guy

Post by Guy »

bompey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 pm Does anyone know if snow chains fit on 20” spiders? We usually go to the alps at Easter and don’t need chains but next year we’re thinking of going in February, in which case we should probably have a set of winter wheels and tyres, or snow chains.
Chains would be cheaper but I when I looked into this a few years back Porsche didn’t recommend it. What do others do?
I bought these for my 20 inch Sport Designs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%96NIG-THU ... ywords=k66

... although I saved a few pennies by getting them from Amazon.de rather than UK!

Although I never used them I did a trial fit as shown within this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2589&hilit=K66&start=40

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit spiders just as easily.
964steve

Post by 964steve »

I looked at a set of winter wheels from Porsche but then went for a set of after market from tyre leader for my GTS. Mak rennen 19inch in black with Dunlop N0 winter tyres. Package delivered within a week for 1540. Then TPMS valves 134 + 50 to fit all together. I actually really like the wheels and very similar to the GTS rs spyders - some may say even nicer looking. Admiral insurance charged an extra premium of 1.40 + 19 administration fee to notify them for fitting aftermarket wheels. I might by a set of cheapest chains with no intention of ever fitting but just in case coming across a jobsworth gendarme. In my experience they stop you and ask you to show them the chains and I was even asked to put them on but they didn't stand over me while I did and I could easily have just driven off if I was confident of not getting stuck. Having driven on snow in summer tyres though in the macan it is not something I would want to try in the mountains.