Winter Tyres - Excellent!

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Col M

Post by Col M »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 pm
Giz9 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am So, this year I bought a set of 18" Macan wheels and winter tyres and all I can say is - outstanding.

When I have finished off the rubber on my set of all-seasons on my 19" Macan Turbo wheels, they will be getting a new set of summer tyres.
My Fiat 500 on winters is unstoppable, just as you describe, except I'm risking just £6k rather than £55k.
Two sets of wheels is the best, you should notice much better roadholding and braking on summers over all-seasons, I certainly did. Mytyres have good prices, and Goodyear NOs have a wheel protective chine, think they refer to it as FR.
Unstoppable is good? 🤔
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble

Red5

Post by Red5 »

I drove Semerka’s Macan Turbo up the Box Hill Zig-Zag road on the worst snowy morning. I pretty much just drove normally, but perhaps a little slower :P

No slip on the camber and no wheelspin at the tight hairpin bend. Just great!
I’d love to try it in some really deep snow :P

Not quite as good on the brakes in snow as my BMW 1 series was, but that’s a fair bit lighter car, on almost the same width tyres.
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

I've had a set of winter wheels and tyres for my last two RWD BMWs (six or seven winters) and I can count on one hand the number of times they were really essential. They do though give you a bit more confidence in marginal grip conditions. Yesterday I did about 40 miles in atrocious conditions in the Macan on summers and I have to say it was pretty surefooted. I don't think it was worse than the BMW on winters.Braking distances were increased and it was easy enough to deliberately provoke sideways action out of roundabouts etc but overall it was fine and I was very impressed with it. The limiting factor in those conditions was the other vehicles on the road.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 pm £3,151 incl VAT. 19" wheels with N-rated winter tyres.

Or... A set of Pirelli N-rated winter tyres for 20" wheels = £1,490.90. :geek:
Yes but just look how much fun you can have once you have got them .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmnFOMkCMc
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
964steve

Post by 964steve »

I got a full set of Dunlop sp winter sport N rated, on aftermarket mak rennen 19" wheels for just over 1600 including TPMS. Then had to pay annual an extra 21 for advising admiral I fitted aftermarket wheels. Winter tyres alone is not necessary to advise for Admiral according to the policy, but I digress.
I fitted them in early Jan so got to drive my GTS on snow before New year on summer and then after on the winter, so a direct comparison. The difference is astonishing and I kept slamming the brakes on, on packed snow (obviously after checking my mirror) just to keep being amazed.
Only issue was at one point being followed way too close by some idiot who probably didn't have winter tyres. I could not outrun the moron as in a 30mph built up area. This is the main reason why even if properly equipped I only go out on snow if absolutely necessary.