Winter Tyres - Excellent!

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

Dandock wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:40 pm A slight aside...

I was out walking bright and early for my paper last Sunday and a number cars drove past. One was a Macan. Now traffic noise, unless someone has their foot down hard, is predominantly generated by the tyres and it’s loud - particularly that from big 4x4s. Now we know Porsche publish the dB levels, which frankly I suspect mean little or nothing to most owners, but I’ve never previously been in position to make a comparison.

The Macan was very much quieter than the others - and seriously so!

Just thought I’d say. :D
Nice to hear. I thought the same about a Cayenne I saw whilst walking in London yesterday.

Also, on topic, we’ve had no problem with ours in the snow on summer tyres. Admittedly the snow isn’t as bad down south.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016

andreas

Post by andreas »

I've been looking at this whole subject of winter tyres. One thing which confuses me is that, on dry roads, winter tyres apparently have a significantly longer stopping distance.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

When we had the last big freeze I bought a set of winter tyres for the Merc 350 I had at the time. The funny thing was that the 2 dealers I went to locally to get quotes both told me that they run winters all year round as the wear rate was lower and they lasted longer than summers. Not sure if that's true but while we know there is a significant difference in performance between summers and winters in winter is there a similar difference the other way around in summer.

Makes you think?
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

andreas wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm I've been looking at this whole subject of winter tyres. One thing which confuses me is that, on dry roads, winter tyres apparently have a significantly longer stopping distance.
Winter tyres have more individual blocks with more sipes, which are perfect for snow & ice grip. On dry roads though this causes more shuffle & skirm, especially when the ambient temperature is above 7C. So they take longer to stop in those conditions.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
andreas

Post by andreas »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Winter tyres have more individual blocks with more sipes, which are perfect for snow & ice grip. On dry roads though this causes more shuffle & skirm, especially when the ambient temperature is above 7C. So they take longer to stop in those conditions.
What about dry roads in typical winter temperatures of, say, 4 or 5 degrees?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

andreas wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:14 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:07 pm

What about dry roads in typical winter temperatures of, say, 4 or 5 degrees?
The winter tyres will still have the edge over summer tyres. The compromise is all-season tyres that can be used year round. However they are just that a compromise with a bias towards winter usage.
Steve

John_M

Post by John_M »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pmThe winter tyres will still have the edge over summer tyres. The compromise is all-season tyres that can be used year round. However they are just that a compromise with a bias towards winter usage.
All road tyres are a compromise - summers are compromise over slicks in the dry.

Personally I have driven on Summers, Winters and All Seasons - modern summers suffer in snow quite badly, but modern cars suffer quite badly in snow because the wheels are so wide and a lot of drivers have no ability to drive sensibly on snow, ice or let's be honest on tarmac judging by the gaps they leave.

I have found all seasons give me enough grip to drive pretty effortlessly on snow - your mileage may vary I as I generally stay in South East (last two winters didn't bother switching to winters as it never really got cold enough to worry around here) and only drove on solid snow in Scotland once, but then I was more worried about seeing where the road edge was than I was about the car traction on all seasons.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Giz9 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am So, this year I bought a set of 18" Macan wheels and winter tyres and all I can say is - outstanding.

When I have finished off the rubber on my set of all-seasons on my 19" Macan Turbo wheels, they will be getting a new set of summer tyres.
My Fiat 500 on winters is unstoppable, just as you describe, except I'm risking just £6k rather than £55k.
Two sets of wheels is the best, you should notice much better roadholding and braking on summers over all-seasons, I certainly did. Mytyres have good prices, and Goodyear NOs have a wheel protective chine, think they refer to it as FR.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Some information on winter and all-season tyre differences and choices:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/january- ... ?swg=51060
Steve

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Steve. Nice advertising feature from Continental. ;)

Useful info too. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018