New Tyres - Pirelli P-Zero or Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Interesting. Almost everyone on the Rennlist 991 forum seems to swear by Michelins. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Is it the wear as in feathering reducing the grip or the marbles? Obviously the marbles are only an issue for those following or for subsequent laps.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Macman

Post by Macman »

As far as I could gather, the marbles move across the surface of the tyre as the rubber gets scrubbed off, this reduces grip before they come off the tyre and land on the track. Then other people’s tyres pick them up and their grip suffers as well.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Macman wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:10 am As far as I could gather, the marbles move across the surface of the tyre as the rubber gets scrubbed off, this reduces grip before they come off the tyre and land on the track. Then other people’s tyres pick them up and their grip suffers as well.
It’s a theory but I reckon the wear would have to be pretty extreme.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Have to say I spent a long time-looking at the tyres on Most if their demos... on my Macan day , I noticed that some had Pirelli zeros and others had the Michelin latitude, when looking at both I did notice a lot of rubber around the outside of the wheels... I know this to be marbles ( looked liked melted rubber) I noticed none on the p zeros but loads on the Latitude, i asked my instructor “ why have some cars got zeros and others Latitude “ he replied “ No particular reason “. I asked which are the ones he would choose He replied “no difference really, everything you read in the car magazines is mostly rubbish!” A man with 25 years in the industry. My Macan GTS I drove had latitudes, my own GTS has Zeros ( I actually prefer the look) the latitude looked bulky.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊