Cracking in Pirelli AS tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

johnd wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am It's strange to see cracking within the tread blocks rather than the sidewalls.
Yes, that what I thought. I'll see if I can get a picture. Did wonder whether it might conceivably be pothole damage of which we have more than our fair share around here, eg if the sharp edge of a large pothole caught the main part of the tread maybe just of-centre at reasonable speed.

Temperature really shouldn't be an issue - these are Scorpion Verde AS tyres!
If by temperature you mean my reference to sunlight, it's the UV radiation that degrades the rubber, not the heat.

The rather general cracking in the pics would suggest a tyre defect I think and I'd certainly be going after the manufacturer for replacement, especially if it was affecting a relatively young tyre.

I'd have thought that pothole damage would be more localised.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

johnd

Post by johnd »

johnd wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am Temperature really shouldn't be an issue - these are Scorpion Verde AS tyres!
Sorry, I inadvertently jumped threads. The PH thread has several comments about summer tyres (which, to be clear, I''m not talking about here - mine are AS) invalidating any warranty if used at temperatures below (IIRC) 8°C. :shock:
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I'm not sure how tight the MOT test is in England, but I would be surprised if that kind of degradation would pass the government MOT inspectors here in Northern Ireland.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Pleased to report that a very nice man from Pirelli HQ in Burton-on-Trent today visited my home and has authorised free replacement brand new N rated Pirelli PZero Tyres on my 2014 Cayman. Tyres will be sent to Porsche dealer for fitting and old cracked tyres will be sent back to Pirelli. Excellent result!
I would thoroughly recommend Pirelli due, in part, to their excellent and efficient customer service. If you have an issue with any Pirelli tyres (Summer/Winter/AS), I would recommend you contact them.

Many thinks zinzan, I owe you a beer! Or more accurately about a grand of beer! :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great outcome! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

👍
What forums (especially this one) are all about!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Generally all the leading tyre manufacturers come out on the side of the vehicle user if it's a genuine or borderline issue. The key is to contact their UK Service or Customer Relations department direct.

The only one they can be "shy" about is claims of low mileage versus consumer expectations.

Complaints / Service Return rates on tyres are very, very low in the UK with the main manufacturers on passenger tyres.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver